Windows 10 Sea of Thieves (0x80073CF9) install error -- Microsoft Store is a piece of garbage.

• Thread starter Thread starter Neoblizz
  • Start date Start date
N

Neoblizz

Problem Explanation

I am attempting to download/install Sea of Thieves using Microsoft Store on my Windows 10 system, and am getting the error 0x80073CF9. I am not using Xbox subscription for this, I actually bought the complete game for full price back in January, 2019.

A more specific behaviour is that Sea of Thieves downloads EXACTLY to 2.10 MB and then I can notice the download speed dropping to 0 and the error pops up, the download/installation stops.

System Specification

• Microsoft Windows 10 Home
  • Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.476)
  • Razer Blade Signature Edition (Razer Inc.)
  • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20 GHz
  • Installed Memory (RAM): 16GB
  • Free Disk Space: ~90 GB
  • GPU: 1070 Max-Q

What I have tried...

I will list all the things I have tried, but I also would like to say that there have been 9 support agents from Microsoft that I have talked to in the past 2 days in attempt to get this issue fixed -- none of them were able to get past the error or even generate anything new. Out of those 9, 4 of them actually controlled my PC using remote desktop control in an attempt to fix it (so, it isn't me messing up on their instructions).

• wsreset (numerous times)
  • logged out and logged back in Microsoft Store
  • clear all the different types of caches, including MS Store cache and entire windows temp directory
  • Clear SoftwareDistribution folder
  • Gave permission to AppReadiness folder
  • Made sure AUInstallAgent, AppReadiness exists
  • Removed and reinstalled MS Store using the powershell commands
  • sfc /scannow
  • Made sure WindowsApps folder had the correct permissions (TrustedInstaller, SYSTEM, ALL APPLIC...)
  • Checked Xbox Networking connection, it was actually giving a NAT type error and I clicked "Fix Now" and checked again and it had fixed itself. On reboot, it fails again to "Teredo is unable to qualify. This could block you from playing multiplayer games"
  • Made sure Windows 10 was up-to-date
  • Made sure MS Store was up-to-date
  • Reinstalled Gaming Services app on MS Store
  • Installed Xbox (Beta) app, Xbox Console Companion - Beta app.
  • Tried installing the game using the Xbox (Beta) app, resulted in the same error.
  • Tried changing the DNS to 8.8.8.8 (google open DNS)
  • Tried using a different network all together (school/work network) to download the game, just to rule out my home network
  • Tried disabling Firewall and Windows defender real time checks
  • Tried installing Spotify and other apps (download and install just fine, no issue whatsoever)
  • Activated hidden Administrator account and tried installing SoT on that account, same issue.
  • Made a new regular admin user (not hidden), same issue
  • Reinstalled windows using the upgrade -- keep all files setting, same issue
  • Changed the Workgroup of the system to a new one (off of the home workgroup that I had it set to), same issue
  • Made sure that App install location is set to the only drive I have in the system (C: drive)
  • Tried using Delivery Optimization turned on to download updates/sea of thieves, didn't do anything (I had this turned off)
  • I used my desktop PC to install the game, it worked perfectly fine on that. Installed within a few mins.
  • Tried using wifi and LAN to download it (didnt work)
  • Tried giving more permission to AppRepository folder, didnt work
  • Did a disk cleanup, removed all DirectX cache, didn't work

As you can tell from the above list, I have exhausted different methods -- the last agent I talked to, she basically said that we are gonna ask the hardware team and I should see an email (I saw no email btw) from them. And she didn't know what to do. I am now asking the community if I could do anything to fix this without doing a clean wipe of my system. I would truly appreciate anyone who is able to suggest something new to try.

Also, I am sure I missed a few things I have tried -- lost track of it. But the list above is most of them.

Continue reading...