Windows 10 Setting up sharing of files after a Windows 10 reset.

• Thread starter Thread starter Grriff
  • Start date Start date
G

Grriff

1 Setting up sharing of files after a Windows 10 reset.
There are many postings about sharing of files over a network on Windows 10, so I’ve written down my experience as a home user.

I have a network consisting of a desktop computer, Dell laptop (both Windows 10) and Toshiba laptop (Windows 7). All of these require a password at start-up and on waking-up. After doing a complete reset of Windows 10 onto the Dell and reloading data files back onto the Dell, I found I could access the desktop and Toshiba from the Dell but not the Dell from either of the other computers. My experience at sorting this may help others but note that I am not an IT expert so you proceed at your own risk. The steps I took are divided into

Setting up drives on the reset computer for sharing

Setting up the security access to these files

These links might help:

File sharing over a network in Windows 10

[8 Fixes] Windows 10 File Sharing Not Working After Update 1803/1809/1903 - EaseUS

Urgent help needed. folder sharing not working after update. now can't work!

Connect PCs and users for sharing Windows 10 to Windows 8/7/Vista/XP (The first part of the first post is useful)

2 What can you do on the network?
1. Working from the reset computer, start Windows Explorer and click ‘Network’ (near the bottom of the list of files). If you can’t see the computers you saw before the reset, check you are connected to the network, for example by accessing the internet. You could try running the Troubleshooter (Start>Settings>Network and Internet>Network Troubleshooter)

2. On the other computers on the network, try and access files on the reset computer. This is where you may have trouble.

3. If you can see the computers but can’t access files on them, try the following (from the above web pages) on the computer which has had the reset.

3 Setting up drives for sharing3.1 Start the services.
1. Press Windows and R key together on your Keyboard.

2. Type Services.msc and it enter.

3. Search for the following services and set the startup type to Automatic.

· Function Discovery Provider Host (FDPHost)

· Function Discovery Resource Publication (FDResPub)

· Network Connections (NetMan)

· UPnP Device Host (UPnPHost)

· Peer Name Resolution Protocol (PNRPSvc)

· Peer Networking Grouping (P2PSvc)

· Peer Networking Identity Manager (P2PIMSvc)

4. Reboot the computer.

3.2 Modify the settings.
  1. Go to Start>Settings>Network and Internet> Network and Sharing.
  2. Click on ‘Change advance sharing settings’ on the left pane.
  3. Select the options for Private, Guest or Public and All Networks:

· Turn on network discovery.

· Turn on file and printer sharing.

· Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write files in the public folders.

· Use 128-bit encryption to help protect files sharing connections (recommended).

· Turn off password protected sharing (unless you use passwords – see later).

1. Click on Save changes.
3.3 Turn on SMB feature.
1. Press Windows and R key together on your Keyboard.

2. Type appwiz.cpl and hit enter.

3. Click on 'Turn Windows Features On or Off' (upper left side of pane).

4. Scroll down and under SMB 1.0 CIFS File Sharing Support, check the boxes next to SMB 1.0/CIFS Client and SMB 1.0/ CIFS Server. If the boxes are already ticked, please uncheck the box and check it again.

5. It will ask you to restart your Computer. Please Restart it.

4 Turn on file sharing
On the reset computer

1. Right click the drive or file you want to share

2. Choose ‘Properties’ from the box (usually the last line)

3. From the Properties box which appears, choose the ‘Sharing’ tab.

4. Click the ‘Advanced Sharing’ button’

5. In the box click the ‘Share this folder’ box and type in the name of the folder which you want to appear in Windows Explorer

6. Click the ‘Permissions’ button. In the box which appears you should see ‘Everyone’ in the ‘Group or User names’ box. Check the boxes in the ‘Permissions for Everyone’ box as you require.

7. Click ‘Apply’ and ‘OK’. Then click ‘Apply’ and ‘OK’ in the Advanced Sharing box and ‘Close’ in the Properties box.

8. Restart your computer.

5 Now see what you can do.
1. On the reset computer, open Windows Explorer and click the ‘Network’ entry (usually near the bottom of the list.

2. You should see all the other computers on the network. If not, Right click ‘Network’ and select, ‘Map network drive’. In the box which appears, select the drive letter you want to use. In the folder box type the name of the computer which you want to access (say ’Desktop’) and the name of the file you have set up to share (say ‘ Photos’) as \\Desktop\Photos\ . Click ‘Reconnect at sign-in’. Click ‘Finish’. The drive letter and file name should now appear in the list of files under ‘This PC’.

3. If not, try the ‘Toubleshooter’ (Start>Settings>Update and Security>Troubleshoot>Additional troubleshooters>Shared Folders)

4. Repeat the above on another network computer to see if the reset computer appears. You may find the new drive letter appears but you get a message saying you do not have permission to access the file. This may arise if you require a password to access your computer on start-up and means you need to reset the security settings of the files in the reset computer.

6 Resetting Security
1. Click the ‘Start’ button, select ‘Settings’, choose ‘Accounts’ then ‘Sign-in options’. Turn off ‘Privacy’ (Show my account details...’)

2. On the drive/folder that you previously set up to share, right click and choose ‘Properties’ again but then the ‘Security’ tab.

3. Under ‘Group or Use names’ you will probably have four entries: Authenticated Users; SYSTEM; Administrators (computer name\Administrators); Users (computer name/Users).

4. If you cannot access the shared folder from another network drive, it may be that it is not included in ‘Authenticated Users’. You have two options:

4.1. By-pass the security check by setting up ‘Everyone’ as a group. In this case click ‘Edit’ in the Security Tab box, then the ‘Add’ button, then type ‘Everybody’ in the ‘Enter the object names...’ box. Click ‘OK’. Set the permissions under the Security Tab. This option is not ideal because it doesn’t restrict access to files.

4.2. The alternative option, which I have used but not seen anywhere else, is to update the ‘Authenticated Users’. Go into the ‘Network and Sharing Centre’ (3.2 above). Set ‘Password protection’ to ‘On’ (assuming it is ‘OFF’). When you try and access the shared file from ‘Network’ in Windows Explorer, you should be prompted for the User Name and Password of the reset computer. Enter these and tick ‘Remember my credentials’ (see 4.3). Click OK. If you get error messages about permissions, restart the computer. You should now have access to the files on the reset computer because the Authenticated Users list has been updated. You will need to carry out this procedure for each computer on the network which requires access to the reset computer.

4.3. You can view the User Credentials on a computer by typing ‘Control Panel’ into the search box. Click on the app which appears and then choose ‘User accounts>Credential Manager>Manage Windows Credentials. Check that the computer you are trying to access is on this list.

I’m afraid that’s the limit of my knowledge!

Continue reading...

Back