Windows 10 Severe Incompatibility issues with Toshiba System driver

• Thread starter Thread starter MeanJoGreen1798
  • Start date Start date
M

MeanJoGreen1798

I'm posting this discovery to the Microsoft forums for posterity and hopefully to prevent further headaches caused by such a severe driver incompatibility, and I hope the mods and or staff will keep this or pass it on to engineers/devs.

I own a Toshiba PW55 - C5200 laptop, which is an i5 5200U series that originally launched with Windows 8, so it is several years old. Recently I installed an SSD into the system which prompted this issue while installing Windows and updating drivers.

Either due to extreme driver incompatibilities with Windows or its subsidiary/general placeholder drivers, the Toshiba System Driver offered on Toshiba's support website causes a DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE exception, and a DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION exception and possibly others I had the luxury of avoiding.

The specific driver and Windows version are as follows:

Windows 10 version 1809, 64-bit

Toshiba System Driver
Posted Date: 2018-06-21 | Version: 1.01.0002 | Size: 18.63M
(^ copy pasted from Toshiba support website)

This driver causes immediate crashes from the Windows login screen after roughly 30 seconds, sometimes up to a minute. The system begins to stutter, completely freezes and crashes with the above BSOD exceptions.

After subsequent removal of this driver all problems were resolved and I was able to update my laptop to the current version of Windows with all other current chipset and hardware drivers. It is unclear at this time if the system driver is the clear culprit. No other drivers were removed or installed to diagnose the issue. This specific driver was the only driver uninstalled which seems to have resolved the issue.

If anyone is interested and this is posted I could update this post with relevant memory dumps and/or further system specifications. The ultimate goal is for this to populate in Google searches and be readily available if other users encounter this issue and hopefully resolve it.

Thank you for your time

Continue reading...

Back