Windows 10 Shared PC files can't be found over the network, smart TV can't be seen as a media device

• Thread starter Thread starter skrkos
  • Start date Start date
S

skrkos

I'm trying to share content over DLNA to my smart TV (LG) can see two other PCs in the house (Windows 10/1909 and a Windows 7) but not my Windows 10 Pro PC, also 1909. I can't see the TV on my computer either, as a media device or otherwise. I can only do so at startup, then it appears to disconnect after a short certain amount of time. I can see other smart TVs and devices connected on the network, but I can't see this TV permanently or cast to it, nor can it connect to my PC's media shares. I've been using Plex or Universal Media Server, which is just as spotty with broadcasting server shares. UMS in particular doesn't find my LG TV when the TV is off, but it will find other TVs in the house even when they're off.

I've turned the firewall on and off. I've tried enabling SMBv1, made sure UPnP, Function Discovery, and SSDP services are automatic and started. Workstation/Server/Computer Browser has been started/restarted, too. I've edited group policy to allow insecure authentication. I've done all the cmd tricks like winsock reset, but after reboot the problem goes away and comes back. Troubleshooter find nothing amiss with the adapter or drivers. I changed the network adapter, but the problem still persists (it's USB connected to a desktop). I did an in-place upgrade, but the PC still disappears from the network intermittently, as does the PC's media server shares. Internet access has fine for the most part. Network discovery is on, media streaming is on, but they do turn off occasionally. Password protected sharing is off. When I go into Windows Media Player, both "Allow remote control of media" and "Automatically allow devices to play my media" are checked.

Sometimes I have the option to cast my PC screen to the TV and cast media directly to the TV, but usually I don't because the device doesn't stay connected to the PC. I've tried to remove the device and re-add the device, but either the device isn't found by the PC or it disconnects again shortly after.

Other things of note: I use a VPN and I've still been able to see the other smart TVs and other shared folders on the network, but the same deal. My TV just can't see my PC's shared content, but the TV can see the two other PCs. Likewise, my PC can't communicate well with the LG TV, but sees other TVs in the house in File Explorer and in other apps like UMS. The LG TV does connect to wifi and has no problem staying connected.

I'm considering trying another adapter, but other than that I'm not sure what else I could do. I wondered if it could just be the TV, but it does see the other PCs we have in the house and it does connect to wifi. The network router is upstairs, as are the other two PCs, while the problematic TV is downstairs and one room away from my PC. As always, I appreciate any and all advice.

Continue reading...

Back