Windows 10 SHIFT KEY acts as if stuck MASSIVE ISSUE - Windows 10

• Thread starter Thread starter VítorSantos1
  • Start date Start date
V

VítorSantos1

I’m here to report an issue based on my keyboard, where the shift acts as if it is locked when it physically isn’t. I recall this issue seemingly starting alongside and after another mysterious but instantly fixed issue which consisted of my keyboard typing the slash ( / ) character without end. The problem rose up spontaneously 5 days ago, seemingly at random periods during my sessions, lasting for the entire session before I eventually did a reboot after which the problem was temporarily fixed. For each session, the phenomenon began happening earlier and earlier, until it basically occurs right after I boot the PC (instantly).

The symptoms include:

• Permanent capital letters without Caps Lock turned on
  • Clicking open windows or applications will order a new instance of the same app to pop up. Example: Clicking on an open firefox window will generate a new default browser window (no site linked other than the search tab).
  • More specifically, I can’t create new browser tabs within a window; I can’t click another open tab to view it; Big portions of text and images are selected all at once by a single click; unable to close tabs.
  • I’m unable to write any lowercase characters, which includes numbers, regardless of CAPS LOCK being active or not.

I’ve tried the following solutions shared by dozens of threads in this and other platforms:

• Finding any updates online for my keyboard drivers - FAILED
  • Reinstalling keyboard drivers - FAILED
  • Tried running system on Safe Mode - FAILED, Option selection by number was impossible due to the keyboard issue
  • Turned sticky keys on and off - FAILED, only succeeded temporarily only for the problem to come back shortly
  • fn+ins - FAILED, only succeeded temporarily, lasting a while until the problem came back and the solution apparently didn’t work anymore. Note: Performed with on-screen keyboard.
  • Tried using my last keyboard which had a big number of non-functional keys but didn’t include any of the shift keys - FAILED. While not being a very evident claim, it seems the shift lock issue is coming from the PC itself, since the shift keys were also locked in this older keyboard.
  • Tried a variety of keyboard options in the Ease of Access menu - FAILED, they worked for a very brief amount of time only to cease and never work again as a solution.

As a final note, I recall the slash typing issue to have begun right after my most recent Windows update, there might be a correlation as I’ve seen a lot of people reporting major issues occurring right after a new Windows Update.

I’m hoping for a knowledgeable response on this issue.

Continue reading...