Windows 10 shown storage space usage is not the really used storage amount

• Thread starter Thread starter gnomegemini
  • Start date Start date
G

gnomegemini

Hi there,

I switched from winbtrfs to windows storage spaces. I have 4 drives for them and firstly attached 2 drives, copied data to it and then attached the other 2 drives and optimized the storage to equal the storage usage over the 4 drives. Unfortunately the blocks copied to the other drives were not freed on the drives instead the usage increased. Now my drives are full, but they are not really. I copied another 500GB of data and the usage was not increased. So this must be free sectors not used but marked as used.

My setup:

As you can see in the drive statistics I do not use that much storage:

Were are my lost 4TB and how can I get them back? I know from a friend who deleted files and there the storage usage decreased as one would expect.

What I tried:

- defrag/optimize the drive with windows defrag.exe and then another defrag tool to be sure

- Optimize-StoragePool -FriendlyName Speicherpool several times

Get-StoragePool gives:

FriendlyName OperationalStatus HealthStatus IsPrimordial IsReadOnly Size AllocatedSize

------------ ----------------- ------------ ------------ ---------- ---- -------------

Primordial OK Healthy True False 9.54 TB 8.64 TB

Speicherpool OK Healthy False False 8.64 TB 8.36 TB

What can I do further? May the refs be the problem here? If yes is there any way to convert to ntfs? Or any way to get the data to the other ntfs drive byte by byte without attaching another storage drive?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Continue reading...

Back