Windows 10 Sleep option missing, Hibernate working like sleep on new build

• Thread starter Thread starter FeIronMonkey
  • Start date Start date
F

FeIronMonkey

Problem

I built a new PC. When I tell it to hibernate (and wait a few seconds for fans and lights to stop), it wakes when I press a key on my keyboard as if it were sleeping. I am pretty sure it is sleeping. Also, "Sleep" is not available in the start menu power options.

Request

Will you please help me figure out how to get both sleep and hibernate to show in the power options menu and make them both behave correctly? Thank you in advance!

How I got here

I installed Windows 10 and installed the latest drivers for everything. I then enabled hibernation by following the steps on How to disable and re-enable hibernation - Windows Client (typing `powercfg.exe /hibernate on` in an elevated command prompt). It showed in the Power Options menu, but behaved like sleep. I had also installed a few programs along the way, but nothing that should have cause a problem. After resetting Windows, `Hibernate` is gone again, as expected, but sleep still does not show.

Attempted Troubleshooting to make sleep show and work properly

1. Disable hibernation to try to get sleep to show
  2. All the steps from here: How to enable Sleep option.
    1. failed - `Sleep` was not an option: In options, click `Choose what the power buttons do`, `Change settings that are unavailable`, then check `Sleep`
    2. Install the latest display adapter driver for my GTX 1070, the Nvidia Studio Driver version 461.40
    3. Add sleep in power menu using Local Group Policy Editor
    4. failed - `CsEnabled` was not an option: Turn on Connected Standby from Registry
  3. Almost all the troubleshooting steps here: Sleep option is gone
    1. Restore default power options with `Windows key + R`, then `powercfg -restoredefaultschemes`
    2. Running the power troubleshooter
    3. Enable sleep in settings, same as 2.1 in this list
    4. I did not bother with the clean boot and instead went to the next step.
  4. Reset Windows through Settings -> Update & Security -> Reset this PC
    1. I kept all my files
    2. I chose to download the new Windows installer from the cloud
  5. After resetting Windows, I tried the above again, but this time did not install any software other than the Nvidia driver and Firefox.

I have yet to try troubleshooting Hibernate not working correctly because

1. Fixing sleep not showing might fix hibernate not working
  2. Searching for "Windows 10 hibernate acts like sleep" and variations of it yields semi-unrelated results.

PC Specs

• Edition: Windows 10 Pro
    • Version: 20H2
    • Build: 19042.804
    • Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0
  • Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
  • GPU: Refurbished GTX 1070
    • Driver: Nvidia Studio Driver
    • Version number on website: 461.4
    • Version number in device manager: 27.21.14.6140
  • RAM: 64 GB
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570 Ultra Version 1.2