Windows 10 Some desktop icons appear as a blank white file instead of its associated icon

• Thread starter Thread starter Hamiltonboy78
  • Start date Start date
H

Hamiltonboy78

I was having a problem with my Desktop Icons appearing as a blank white file instead of its associated icon as you can see below. Some icons are working normally and some don't.

While I was doing research about this issue, most solutions were mentioning how the icon cache is corrupted. Not in my case though.

The issue actually happens because you are syncing with a OneDrive account and have run out of space. OneDrive, by default, is backing up your Desktop icons (for what reason, I don't know as they are non-essential items) and it has no more room to save the icon images.

To get the images back, you have to remove the Desktop folder from being synced with OneDrive. Now when I did this, those icons that were missing an image just disappeared and a new Icon appeared on my desktop called "Where are my files". If I open that link, Windows Explorer opened and showed me the full list of desktop icons that were removed and then I just had to cut and paste them back into my Desktop and the images appeared just fine.

Continue reading...

Back