Windows 10 Some Group Policy settings are preventing Windows Update Service to work

• Thread starter Thread starter tatty (DW)
  • Start date Start date
T

tatty (DW)

I have a Home PC a desktop. I am not part of any domain or organization. I am the only Administrator for my computer. I connect on our home Ethernet internet and do not have a wireless network card but a modem. Our SSID is hidden so nobody can figure out our Internet name or the password. My mobile phone connects ONLY to my cellphone company's 6G data and never wireless. So how any of the following errors happened and group policies got changed I don't know. Here is exactly what happened and how I have tried every option until I am finally exhausted all options I can think of.

I have been trying now for the past month to fix Windows Update Service to no avail. When I got the following error message....

* Some of these settings are managed by your organization.

View configured update and policies.

Error encountered

We couldn't connect to the update service. We'll try again later, or you can check now. If it still doesn't work make sure you're connected to the Internet.

I clicked on the link ...View configured update policies.

These are the specific Policies that somehow got changed.

Source for all the policies are Administrator, and Type is Group Policy...

Intranet Update Service for detecting Updates

Allow connecting to Windows Update Internet Loations

Download the updates automatically and notify when they are ready to be installed.

Enable the method by which the auto restart required notifications are dismissed.

Dismissal mthod for auto restart required notifications

Set Automatic Update options

Disable all online services for Windows updates except managed services

Use alternate URL for Update Service

Configure an alternate location for downloading updates when scanning against a managed service

Do not connect to any Windows Update Internet location

I tried the following things... I tried to find those specific policies in Group Policy but couldn't. I ran sfc /scannow it said there were no errors. I went to run System Restart but for some reason all my Restart points had been erased. I tried running System Reset, that said it had fixed everything, but it didn't it just uninstalled all my personal programs I had installed, said it fixed issues with my Window 10 64x Pro edition.

I went and checked Windows Update tried to run the Update Service and still got the very same errors. Is there something I missing, anything I can download or change instead of reformatting and reinstalling Windows 10 AGAIN.

Please and thank you for any help given.

Sincerely

Tatty

Continue reading...

Back