Windows 10 Something is periodically recalibrating any USB game controller I plug into the PC. Need help with a solution.

• Thread starter Thread starter Timmygolding
  • Start date Start date
T

Timmygolding

Hi about 2 months a go I was playing competitively on a FIFA and halfway through the tournament my controller seems to stop working. It almost seemed like the mechanical fault. Like the left stick was not calibrated properly anymore. Stupidly at the time I didn't think it was the calibration as I hadn't recalibrated it at any point. Just considered it a mechanical fault. So off I go and buy a another cheap USB game controller and start playing with that. I'm getting back in to it for a day or three and again same thing happened. The left stick recalibrated on its own. again like an idiot I assumed it was a cheap one and was faulty so went to buy a third controller. This repeated for 2 months and now I have 4 controllers I didn't need. At this point I decided it was no coincidence and wondered one night if there was some sort of calibration issue. So I go on to Bing or whatever search engine I used and search for information on how to recalibrate though control panel -> devices and printers -> right click controller settings -> properties. I can reset to default (this didn't seem to do much on this PC in any case) or calibration. The funny thing is i can't seem to recalibrate it on this PC and then play. I did try that and it was still not calibrated right. I can unplug it plug into another computer and then I can seem to calibrate it and its stored for a few hours then I can play. I'm not an expert at how windows handles this. I'm assuming the calibration is stored inside the controller itself and not in a settings file on windows. So some signal must be sent to USB to flash the calibration?

Anyway at this point I wondered if it was a virus so I backed up my files and did a rest this PC. Although I did rest this PC but keep files option. Does this count or could it be a virus stays even on a factory reset. I mean should I reset the PC but wipe the drives to rule out a virus?

Or could this actually be a fault with USB or motherboard( I have updated drivers)

These are my questions

Is there someway I can disable the calibration signal in windows?

Is there somewhere I can check in the log, wherever that is? for what time the failed calibration issue occurred ?
Do I need to monitor what is sending a calibration signal? So i can determine where the fault lies if its software related. If so how?
Should I test the USB hardware somehow and if that fails possible buy a USB card for now? with a view to new motherboard ram etc etc when I can afford it.

I am really stuck with this and feel I need an MS expert to help my troubleshoot or debug this issue to don't know what to do. To be perfectly honest I need to get back on the field, so to speak...:D Thanks for any help

Continue reading...

Back