Windows 10 Sound through 3.5 Inch Jack has Stopped after Windows Update; Realtek Driver cannot be installed as Microsoft Driver cannot be uninstalled

• Thread starter Thread starter Sukhjit Sandhu
  • Start date Start date
S

Sukhjit Sandhu

Sound through 3.5 Inch Jack has Stopped after Windows Update

Background to Problem

I have recently purchased an Intel NUC10i7FNK and this is the system information: -

Sound Problem

On first use, the 3.5 inch jack worked and I could use the machine with my headphones

I then actioned the initial window and BIOS updates after which my sound stopped working through the 3.5 inch jack

I have tried multiple headphones which work on other devices but absolutely no sound after update

Cause

From Intel diagnostics, there is a Realtek driver which needs to be installed but cannot be installed because a Microsoft driver is present and prevents the installation of the Realtek driver

Missing Driver Details

I understand from the Intel diagnostics utility (see above) that the Realtek driver needs to be installed for the sound to work
I have attempted numerous times to install this driver using automated driver update utilities from Realtek and Intel and attempting to install manually
In addition, I have tried by disconnecting the internet and pausing Windows updates but I have failed to install in all circumstances because the Microsoft driver is re-installed instead

Existing Microsoft Driver

This driver cannot be un-installed

Whenever it is un-installed then it will re-install itself when the machine is re-booted

After un-install if another driver (the Realtek driver) is attempted to be installed then instead the Microsoft driver will re-install.

I have also tried multiple times by disconnecting

Driver Installation Attempts

The screen below show what happens when the installation is attempted

Unfortunately, the Realtek driver fails to overwrite the Microsoft driver

If the Microsoft driver has been previously removed, then that driver re-installs itself

I have tried to do this by suspending windows updates during the driver install process but this has not worked either

Application Possibly Causing Problem

Intel Support

Intel support guys have tried to resolve for a month and given up as this is a windows issue hence can anyone here help

Continue reading...

Back