Windows 10 Speakers work fine, but PC won't play audio, not even with new sound card

• Thread starter Thread starter SameOldSuitSince1962
  • Start date Start date
S

SameOldSuitSince1962

Before I replaced the sound card, my relatively new PC would occasionally stop playing any audio. It wasn't the speakers fault, because when this would happen, I could still hear the "dinging" sound it makes when you adjust the volume level. That's the only sound it could play. I would have to unplug the speakers and plug them back in to get them to work again, and this would only work sometimes.

As I mentioned at the beginning of this post, I got a new sound card and I put it in. The PC says the sound card was successfully installed. But I still can't hear any sound, not even the aforementioned "dinging" sound I said I could still hear the first time. No sound whatsoever. Again, it's not the speakers fault, because they DID play sound properly when there was sound. The problem is something about the computer itself, or Windows 10. Everything else about the computer works just fine. There's just something annoyingly wonky about the audio.

I put the old sound card back in, and it works fine now. But I'm afraid it might stop working again at some point like it did before.

I don't know what could be causing this. I don't even think I've ever seen this exact thing happen before. What do you think is causing the audio to suddenly stop working in all areas except certain system sounds?

Continue reading...

Back