Windows 10 SQL Server 2014 Fail to install

• Thread starter Thread starter Ethan Wright (wrighte)
  • Start date Start date
E

Ethan Wright (wrighte)

Hello all,

Thank you in advance for any help you might be able to give.

I am installing Microsoft SQL Server 2014 on a

• Lenovo ThinkPad P73
  • Windows 10 Pro for workstations - 1909

When I attempt to install it fails with this error:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Setup

------------------------------

The following error has occurred:

Service 'SQL Server VSS Writer' (SQLWriter) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

Click 'Retry' to retry the failed action, or click 'Cancel' to cancel this action and continue setup.

For help, click: Microsoft - Official Home Page

------------------------------

BUTTONS:

&Retry

Cancel

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I checked the "SQL Server VSS Writer" service.

• The service is not running.
  • It is set to log on as Local System Account

When I try to start the service the error I get is:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows could not start the SQL server Writer service on the local computer.

Error 1053: the service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am locally logged in with the local Admin account and running the install and Administrator.

Please let me know if someone has an idea of what to do, or if I need to post logs.

(Let me know where the logs are located.)

Continue reading...

Back