Windows 10 Start Menu and Settings not working after failed update undid it's changes

• Thread starter Thread starter PeterS_037
  • Start date Start date
P

PeterS_037

A couple days ago, Steam could not finish downloading an update because "Corrupt Disk". I went to my C: drive's Properties -> Tools and clicked on Error Checking. Error Checking confirmed that it also found errors and offered to repair them. I accepted, but as the system was restarting, the Windows update that had been pending decided that that was a good point to begin running. After the disk corruption process, the computer said that it couldn't complete the update and was undoing the changes made. However, when I logged back in, I was unable to open the Start Menu, use the search bar and when I tried to get into my Settings (via right-clicking on the desktop and clicking Display Settings), Windows throws up an error that says.

"ms-settings:display

This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Apps Settings page."

I have tried many things to fix this problem, such as:

Going into the Command Line as an administrator and running

sfc /scannow

Which always stops at 47% of the way through the verification phase with the message "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."

Running

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Gives the message "The component store is repairable", but when I run

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

It stops at 11.3 or 11.4% with the message:

"Error: 4448

The WOF driver encountered a corruption in the compressed file's Resource Table"

I also downloaded the Windows Media Creation Tool to try and repair install Windows, but when the computer restarts it says it's undoing the changes made and then when I log in it says it failed and gives the message:

"0x8007001F - 0x20006

The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during the REPLICATE_OC operation."

When I boot in safe mode and log in it gives the message:
"explorer.exe - System Warning
Unknown Hard Error"

Both my system restore points are corrupted as well.

My CBS.log is here.

My dism.log is here.

Thank you in advance for your much needed help!

Continue reading...

Back