Windows 10 Still trying to fix Malformed Database for Windows App Store - Need help with a recommended fix

• Thread starter Thread starter bkspero
  • Start date Start date
B

bkspero

I posted in another thread a problem I am having with the Windows App Store and many Windows Store apps crashing as soon as they are opened, and when trying certain fixes getting an error that the fix didn't work because there was a Malformed Database. I didn't get any responses to that question, so I continue to pursue fixes. This one, Get-AppxPackage : The database disk image is malformed looks like a possibility, but I am having trouble with the wildcard syntax and could use some guidance there.

In an Administrator CMD window in the correct folder when I run the instructed command: "dir StateRespository-*" I get a "file not found" response. Yet when I run a simple "dir" command in that same folder I get a long list of files including the StateRepository- files listed below.

08/30/2020 07:19 AM 6,291,456 StateRepository-Deployment.srd

08/30/2020 08:11 AM 32,768 StateRepository-Deployment.srd-shm

08/30/2020 07:19 AM 0 StateRepository-Deployment.srd-wal

08/29/2020 04:52 PM 6,291,456 StateRepository-Machine.srd

08/30/2020 08:06 AM 32,768 StateRepository-Machine.srd-shm

08/29/2020 04:55 PM 0 StateRepository-Machine.srd-wal

If I run "dir StateRepository-Deployment.*", I get the expected list of the first 3 from above. And if I run "dir StateRepository-Machine.*", I get the expected list of the last 3 from above. But I can't get them all to list as the instructions from the link above indicate using any * configurations.

Since I don't fully understand what I am doing with many of the commands I am afraid to deviate from the instructions without guidance. So, my questions:

1) How can I change the recommended command: dir StateRepository-* so that it works to reference the full list of those files in this directory (and presumably reference the full list of those files in subsequent commands in the instructions)?

2) If I can't do what the instructions call for originally in #1 above (using StateRepository-*), may I execute the subsequent commands in the instructions in 2 groups using StateRepository-Deployment.* and StateRepository-Machine.* in place of a single group using StateRepository-*? This way, it looks like I would still be able to delete the StateRepository files, but do it in 2 groups instead of 1.

3) Will doing this screw up my computer more than it is already?

By the way, I tried doing a windows reinstall (keeping files and apps), and it did not fix things.

Continue reading...

Back