Windows 10 Storage Spaces not allowing full amount of drive space

• Thread starter Thread starter IItacocatII
  • Start date Start date
I

IItacocatII

Good Afternoon,

I have a fresh install of Win 10, version 10.0.19041. Attached to this system are 12x 12TB SATA drives. 4 of these are attached direct via internal SATA headers, and the other 8 are connected to an LSI 9300-8i card. I can see all 12 of the drives using disk management, and all 12 are available when I try to create a storage pool. Since each drive is showing roughly 10.9TB available, I should have a total of 130TB available. The problem is when I try to create the storage space, Windows lists 130TB available to use but when I choose Parity, the maximum size it allows me to create without yelling at me that there isn't enough room is 63TB.

My math may be slightly off but with single parity, I should be able to create a roughly 119TB partition. Why is storage spaces limiting to half that? I even tried the other options: mirroring, no redundancy, and none of them are working correctly. Is this a bug?

I downloaded drivepool, and it allowed me to create a pool with 10 disks at roughly 119TB with one unused, which would be my parity drive if it allowed that.

I know there are lots of better ways to run large RAIDs, but I know Windows best, and this system will be used for many things to include file server. I looked into snapraid in conjunction with drivepool, and may have to go that route if I can't get storage spaces to work. And I was really hoping to have two parity drives, but for the life of me cannot get that to work either using powershell. Maybe another bug, but with 12 drives I would think Windows would yell at someone for NOT having two parity disks.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Continue reading...

Back