Windows 10 Strange lines in bcd file after failed attempt to install Ubuntu in dual boot with Windows 10

• Thread starter Thread starter MariaJensen3
  • Start date Start date
M

MariaJensen3

I recently bought a new computer that came with windows 10 home installed. It has UEFI. After partitioning the disk I attempted to install Ubuntu 18.04 by using a bootable USB memory stick. Something went wrong.

The computer still works but when I do Advanced Startup I now get an additional boot option: Besides the regular options to boot from harddisk, USB or network there is now also a boot option with the name of the USB memory stick I used. It persists when the stick is not connected to the computer. If I choose this boot option, I get to the installer program (which doesn't work).

The partition I made for Ubuntu is still unallocated.

The file C:/Windows/System32/Logfiles/Srt/bcdinfo.txt now contains the following lines:

Firmware Application (101fffff)
-------------------------------
identifier {8ea3f722-84bb-11ea-ade5-806e6f6e6963}
device unknown
path \EFI\Boot\grubx64.efi
description Linpus lite

Linpus lite being the name of the bootable memory stick and grub the boot loader that comes with Ubuntu.

I have reinstalled Windows but it didn't remove the extra boot option. The computer is working, but I dare not attempt to install Ubuntu again for fear of doing real damage to my computer.

So my question is: What happened? It seems that grub was installed on the EFI partition as well as the installation program (instead of Ubuntu itself)? Is there a way of removing it? Or would it be enough to edit the bcd file? If anyone can give me advice as how to remedy this I should be grateful!

Continue reading...

Back