Windows 10 System freeze during file transfer left volume bitmap error on secondary exFAT HDD

• Thread starter Thread starter clockeby
  • Start date Start date
C

clockeby

So, I've searched Google and various Windows 10 forums & support sites regarding this issue. Nothing I've read so far has answered my question so I figured I'd try to explain the issue here. My undying gratitude ahead of time if anyone can give me an answer other than "reformat it". I'll add as much info as I can but if anyone needs to know something specific, ask and I'll get it!

TL;DR

Running chkdsk D: /f /r /x from an Admin cmd results in "could not repair disk. An error was encountered while examining the volume bitmap." Running from Disk Management results in "found disk errors it can't repair. Select 'OK' then try repair again." FSUtils reports the drive flagged as dirty but if chkdsk can't complete/repair the drive, how do I fix the volume bitmap?

QUESTIONS

1. Will manually clearing the dirty bit with a HEX editor make the drive usable again?

2. If Windows 10 still has File Explorer issues, will the same thing happen again as soon as I try to move a new MKV file to the drive?

------------------------------

OS & SYSTEM INFO

Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1909

OS Build 18363.535

ASUS P8Z77-V Pro, BIOS v2104

Intel i5 3.4GHz

16gb RAM

Nvidia GTX 1060 w/ latest drivers

Boot Disk: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB, Single NTFS partition

Secondary Disk: Western Digital Blue 4TB, Single exFAT partition

BACKSTORY

The HDD in question is the Western Digital Blue 4TB. I only use it for movie storage accessed via PLEX on our home network.

Prior to the Windows 10 1903 update, File Explorer had an issue transferring large files (like an MKV BluRay rip from our movie collection). I had a different drive at that point (2TB Seagate from 2012 w/ 2 NTFS partitions), but the same issue as this one: While moving an MKV file, transfer status would slowly drop to 0Kb/sec and stall, then the system would freeze/become unusable forcing me to reboot which made the drive report as read-only. That brought my PLEX media center project to a halt. Soon after, the Windows 10 1903 update was released which I read "fixed the file transfer problem", so I installed the update, backed up my movie collection, reformatted the drive, and all was fine until the Seagate died (7 years, RIP) at which point I bought the WD Blue 4TB.

Everything was great until the Windows 10 1909 update and suddenly, the exact same scenario happened. MKV transfer stalls, system freezes, I hit reset, and the drive is read-only.

After searching Google for help, everything I read said "use chkdsk D: and some combo of /f, /r, or /x to fix and recover after un-mounting the drive, however running chkdsk via Admin cmd came back with "could not repair disk. An error was encountered while examining the volume bitmap." I think I read that the volume bitmap (allocation bitmap/table) is an exFAT specific thing which helps in getting more space out of a drive. Exactly why I formatted the drive exFAT when I bought it.

I ran an "is dirty" check and yes, it has a dirty bit. At this point I check the Event View and it's logging an Event ID 153 warning every 1-2 minutes which reads "The IO operation at logical block address 0x10140 for Disk 1 (PDO name: \Device\0000035) was retired". Following the Event Log Online Help link gets me to info about drive failure which the chkdsk error would seem to confirm, but running the WD SMART scan on the drive, everything returned says the drive is 100% healthy. I then find a comment in another post which says a hard reset while the drive was performing an operation could also result a volume bitmap error. Exactly my scenario.

I fixed the read-only lock, but I get the same chkdsk error when I try to repair it, even running it in safe mode and for some reason chkdsk won't run a disk scan on boot-up no matter how I try it. I read that you can manually clear a dirty bit on a drive, using WinHex or a tool called DMDE but will that clear the error and return the drive to its "pre-transfer freeze" usable state? I also read that File Explorer in Windows 10 is still jacked up so will getting the drive back up even matter or will the same thing happen as soon as I attempt a 2GB file transfer?

I hope someone gets this and can offer an answer other than a LONG backup process and drive format!

Continue reading...

Back