Windows 10 Task Manager shows a huge amount of memory usage, though the Users tab only shows a fraction actually in use.

• Thread starter Thread starter Andrew123Shi
  • Start date Start date
A

Andrew123Shi

Hello there,

I've noticed that there is an extremely high amount of memory that my system is using, as seen in Task manager, but the Users tab only shows me using a fraction of that amount. This has been a consistent observation I've seen over the past few months, and I've never really had any problem with it since it does not affect system performance (except in a few rare instances).

Performance tab:

Users tab:

As you can see, apparently I'm using 86% of my 32gb of RAM, though my actual administrator account (the only one loaded on the system) is using about 7gb. That's quite literally only a quarter of what it says I am using. I've seen from other threads that Resource Monitor would give a more accurate reading (as it shows how much memory is actually "in use" vs. "standby"), but it gives the same 27gb "in use" reading as Task Manager.

Looking down the processes list, aside from a few active applications, most processes use only 0-5mb of memory, so even with a quick scan it doesn't seem to add up to the apparent 27gb usage, and 7gb seems much more reasonable.

Even after restarting and closing all processes, there is about a 15-20 gb memory usage seemingly from nothing.

Does anyone know why this happens, and why Task Manager seems to show a lot more memory in use? I'm not necessarily looking for a fix, I'm just intrigued at why this happens. Thanks.

Continue reading...