Windows 7 Task Scheduler not able to run a batch file with "&" in its name

• Thread starter Thread starter ShubhamShrivastava2711
  • Start date Start date
S

ShubhamShrivastava2711

Recently, I was trying to run a batch file "generate_file&transfer_to_other.bat" from Task Scheduler, but it was not running. However, if I run the file directly in the specific folder by double-clicking, it would run.

I searched across various microsoft communities forums and all I could get was to either delete "Cache" from registry editor, or to delete related tasks in C:\Windows\system32\tasks.

But none of the above steps solved the issue.

SOLUTION found:
We finally tried tinkering with the name of the batch file. We removed all the characters, excpet "g" and tried running from Task Scheduler; IT WORKED. So, either the number of characters was the issue or there was some character in the name which was creating trouble.
After trying various options, we could finally conclude that it was "&" in the name of the batch file which was the culprit.

For a matter of fact, task scheduler was able to identify and execute even batch files with "~", "@", "_","+" ..... but the moment we added "&" to the name, it ceased to work. This was a unique observation; maybe task scheduler identified "&" as some logical character.

Continue reading...

Back