Windows 10 Taskbar app icons not showing properly after being minimized in RDP

• Thread starter Thread starter JeffSaunders1
  • Start date Start date
J

JeffSaunders1

If I remote desktop to any of my Windows10 PC's, open a few apps and then minimize any open application windows I can hover over them and see the thumbnails of them in the taskbar.

If I leave them minimized and then minimize my RDP session, when I come back to that open RDP session all of the minimized taskbar app icons show a grey/white thumbnail with just a tiny logo in the center (the logo representing the app).

This happens from any PC (5 total). No matter which PC I RDP from and to.
I tried the thumbnail deletion fix on a few of them and it didn't resolve the issue.
Any ideas what could be causing this?

In addition. If after the above mentioned issue happens in RDP, if I log on directly to the PC that I was connected to the issue is still there. (the icons are grey/white). BUT - if I maximize and then minimize the apps while directly connected to the PC the issue is not there. Seems to be caused by RDP.

I found one PC that doesn't have the problem. After reviewing the updates I discovered the PC's that have the problem have MS Update version in the 1903 set, but the PC that doesn't have the problem is using the 1809 update set.

Another interesting thing. Internet Explorer (not Edge) does not have the issue. If I load IE on the remote PC and do the minimize thing (along with other apps), it's the only app that shows up on hover.

Continue reading...