Windows 10 This PC can't be upgraded to Windows 10 - Windows Update & Microsoft Store not working properly after unenrolling Windows Insider

• Thread starter Thread starter SwagYolo
  • Start date Start date
S

SwagYolo

Hi! I'm trying to help my brother fix a computer that has a long list of errors, bluescreens, corrupted Windows installations, and more. Thankfully, the PC is now recovered to an at least usable state, but there is one large problem remaining that is related to the update of the computer.

This is not my computer, but I have tried to troubleshoot and have eventually gotten to a dead end. The main problem is that Windows Update throws an error when trying to update the PC. The computer doesn't have the latest version of Windows, it's on Windows 1903 build 19002.1, so an update should be available. The main problem goes deeper than that though because I think this has to do with something related to that the computer has been enrolled in Windows Insider before. Here is what I have done:

• Unenrolled Windows Insider by toggling the "Stop receiving preview builds when a next stable version is released"-button.
  • Checked if the computer (Lenovo V110-15IKB) has support for the May update (2004 is the number if I remember correctly), and it does, according to an official Lenovo Support article: Lenovo devices tested for Windows 10 version 2004 (May, 2020) - SE
  • Downloaded the Windows 10 Update Assistant - It throws the error "Your PC settings aren't supported yet on this version of Windows 10", even though Lenovo claims that it has the support
  • Tried to check what "Group Policy Settings" that has been applied to the system since Windows Update still says "Some settings are managed by your organization" even though the computer shouldn't be registered for Windows Insider at all.

It's obvious that it's the Windows Insider that's blocking something here, I'm just wondering how on earth I can get rid of it. Because, as I said earlier, the PC can no longer search for updates via Windows Update, it just displays "Error" (and yes, I'm connected to the internet). Apparently, the computer is set up and logged in to one Windows account, which has automatically applied child restrictions (not sure if those affects anything here), BUT, the Windows Insider previews come from another account that he only uses for Windows Insider. As soon as I close the settings app, reopen it, and return to the Insider tab, it displays his regular Microsoft account with the option to enroll in the program. Has something conflicted here, perhaps?

So, what additional steps can I take to troubleshoot (and fix) the issue? What additional details do you need, if any?

Microsoft Store also doesn't work - no apps can be downloaded, it just says that something is wrong.

I have a couple of screenshots below:

Windows Update error, even though the settings should be supported (see Lenovo link above)

Windows information

The initial Windows Update error that brought me to ask this question

Group policies set on the device, probably by Insider (especially the last one is alarming)

The insider screen

The Windows Update screen when on the account not signed up for Insider. It now says that the device is set up to get preview builds, even though I have tried to unenroll it. This goes away if I click the link to the Insider settings, select his Microsoft account used for Windows Insider, and return back to the screen.

Continue reading...

Back