Windows 10 TLS security settings error - cannot connect to the Internet

• Thread starter Thread starter Neil.Mc
  • Start date Start date
N

Neil.Mc

Hi - hope someone out there can help me with this:

I have a laptop running Windows 10 Pro (Version 1803, OS build 17134.706). I'm having trouble connecting to the Internet via my web browsers. Regardless of which one I use, they fail when connecting to *almost* all websites. I'm getting the same or similar messages:

Microsoft Edge 42.17134.10

Cannot securely connect to this page

This might be because the site uses outdated or unsafe TLS security settings. If this keeps happening, try contacting the website's owner.

Your TLS security settings aren't set to the defaults, which could also be causing this error.

Google Chrome version 73.0.3683.103 (Official Build) (64-bit)

This site can't be reached.

www.google.com unexpectedly closed the connection.

Try:

Checking the connection
Checking the proxy and the firewall
Running Windows Network Diagnostics

Firefox version 66.0.3 (64-bit)

Secure Connection Fails

The connection to www.google.com was interrupted while the page was loading.

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this.

I've done some poking around online, and think the issue has something to do with the TLS security settings. I've read through this existing thread - https://answers.microsoft.com/ - but it doesn't solve my problems. I have ticked and unticked SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 in all possible combinations but it hasn't made any difference.

If I reboot the computer, the problem seems to resolve itself for about ten minutes. Then it comes back again.

If I disable my anti-virus and Windows Defender then the problem also resolves itself but again only for about ten minutes. In addition to Windows Defender I have these antivirus programs installed on the computer:

Avast Free Antivirus
Version 19.3.2369 (build 19.3.4241.450)

Bitdefender Antivrius Free
Product version 1.0.15.101

I can't seem to isolate whether its Avast, Bitdefender or Windows Defender (or indeed any of them) that is causing the issue. Disabling any two of them is not enough to resolve the problem. I always have to disable all three. I can then reactivate some or all of them and the computer can connect normally to websites for about 10 minutes.

There's nothing wrong with the internet connection. There are numerous other devices in the house that are connecting online flawlessly.

There's also nothing wrong with the specific websites I'm trying to access. I can get them on my phone, my tablet, my xbox or my other computer.

This has also only started happening in the last three days. Before that Edge, Chrome and Firefox were all connecting perfectly to all websites. It's as if someone flipped a switch and now it's no longer working. Although I haven't installed anything or updated any settings myself in the meantime.

In addition to this laptop I also have a desktop computer which is running Windows 10 Pro, has exactly the same web browsers and exactly the same antivirus programs installed... but it is working fine. So I'm completely baffled.

Can anyone shed any light on what is going on here? I would be extremely grateful!

Many thanks,

Neil.

Continue reading...

Back