Windows 10 Total Freeze on loading new videos, no event viewer/reliability report log

• Thread starter Thread starter elderbury
  • Start date Start date
E

elderbury

I've had an intermittent crashing problem for the last couple of years on my tower.

Happens once or twice a month.

Slowly narrowing down the trigger, it seems to happen on large video files being loaded into memory from streaming sites.

Only happens on Amazon Prime Video and Netflix (never youtube/twitch), happens on Firefox/Chrome/Edge + windows store app versions.

It'll happen when an episode has ended, and the next episode starts to load in (still on black loading screen), or on Netflix on the homepage, as all the video previews try to load in and autoplay.

The computer will freeze, no error shown.
The mouse can move for a while (before locking in place), but clicking does nothing. The keyboard won't accept any inputs (even the numpad and caps lock lights won't respond!) Computer is stuck on the last frame it rendered on screen, even the time on the computer clock won't update.

Leaving the computer overnight/indefinitely, no change, it won't sort itself out.

Turning a monitor off and back on will show a blank screen, as the pc won't re-establish a signal to it. unplugging various wires/components doesn't create any response. (tried listening for audio cues of hardware connections in case it was just the visual feed going)

The only way to fix the problem is to hold the power button/yank the plug out.

On turning back on, event viewer/reliability report only shows an unexpected shutdown (me unplugging it), no crash event.

Netflix techs thought it might have something to do with Flux, my blue-light filter program, but the crash still happens with it disabled.

There has to be something about Netflix/Amazon streaming that sets it off...maybe some sort of anti-screen recording/piracy protection? I do have ShareX for taking screenshots? or maybe since netflix uses amazon servers, something to do with their videos overloading the GPU? I'm clutching at straws here, this is such an unusual issue and hard to diagnose, even years on with it.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz

32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (11-11-11-28)

Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z97P-D3 (SOCKET 0)
227E4LH (1920x1080@60Hz)
SAMSUNG (1360x768@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Gigabyte)
3072MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (MSI)

1863GB Seagate ST2000DM006-2DM164 (SATA )

238GB Hitachi HFS256G32MNB-2202A (SATA (SSD))

1863GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 (SATA )

Continue reading...

Back