Windows 10 Touchpad confuses cursor movement for a request to scroll (very sensitive scrolling)

• Thread starter Thread starter EmilyGo1
  • Start date Start date
E

EmilyGo1

Hello,

I have a Lenovo G50-45 80E3 running Windows 10. For background, every once in a while, my two-finger scrolling stops working out of the blue and will not respond to toggling off/on in the mouse advanced settings, etc. A restart always fixes this. Recently the two-finger scrolling stopped working as described; it came back when I restarted the computer, but with one unwelcome addition. Currently, the two-finger scrolling is VERY sensitive.

It will read most of my normal finger movements -- and these are one-finger movements! -- as requests to scroll and will not release the cursor. Instead, it just continues to scroll unless I click and swipe a lot in order to get it to release. Half the time it picks it right back up again, and when scrolling isn't an option (ie on a single-page document) the cursor won't move at all because it's still trying to scroll! It's highly frustrating. (It's also not specific to any program or anything like that; everything is affected.)

I eventually turned scrolling off all together, bringing me back to square one. I manually updated the drivers using Lenovo's website, have played around in multiple ways with the control panel's "mouse" section (varying pressure sensitivities, different mouse icons, horizontal vs. vertical scrolling, and so on), checked device manager and the settings menu, etc. etc. Nothing seems to fix the problem and make two-finger scrolling work the way it's meant to.

Any ideas?

TO RECAP: sudden bizarre scrolling sensitivity refuses to let cursor work like normal, reading even one-finger maneuvers as a request to scroll and sometimes preventing the cursor from moving. Multiple attempts to fix the problem through control panel and driver updates have been unsuccessful.

Continue reading...

Back