Windows 8 Touchscreen Stopped Functioning - ACER Monitor w/ ASUS Desktop on Windows 8 Pro- HELP!!

• Thread starter Thread starter Rebecca_1122
  • Start date Start date
R

Rebecca_1122

I have read thru so many posts, but most of those who have been successful in finding a FIX for my situation are either other types of systems (laptops, all-in-ones, etc.) or for other models.

Thus far I have tried every solution I could find posted that was generic enough for my current problems, which is that the touchscreen just stopped working one day. Occasionally it would go in and out before it quit. I noticed that I had my windows updates set for Automatic and Windows had moved me from the Win 8 Pro that came with my ASUS Desktop when I got it in Jan 2012 to Win 8.1. I assumed somewhere in the update things got lost. After a couple months of intermittently trying different solutions to fix it, I finally bit the bullet, backed up everything I had and did a Full System Reset, rebuilding from scratch. Sadly I lost some programs that were purchased and installed by my Ex who I was still with when I got the system since he had the product keys, but nothing I could not deal with replacing. After resetting and starting from scratch with the Windows 8 set-up disk, I turned off updates, installed my plug-n-play Acer touchscreen and NO LUCK. I had already spent a good deal of time and money to make sure I was using USB 3.0 active repeater and I ran the screen from HDMI. The monitor still works fine and honestly i don't care so much about the 'touch' part. What I really miss is that it has 3 USB ports on the side that run my wireless keyboard, mouse and webcam. I have a medical issue that is aggravated by sound and vibration which is why I stayed away from all-in-ones and laptops. I do tend to run my system heavy with a lot of work in Photo and Video Editing, so even on 'silent' fan operation, the sound of it is too much for me to be around for more than 15-20 minutes. I found the ACER monitor before I picked out my ASUS Desktop. It was an 'early' affordable touchscreen (at about $500). I purchased an extension arm costing nearly what the monitor had, that weights about 40 lbs and can extend away from the wall almost 4 feet. It is designed for doctors offices and hospital usage. For a year and a half I had no problems running my system with Dual Monitors, and I kept my Desktop in my 'office' on the floor below my work room with one monitor and ran the USB 3.0 Active Repeater to the Touch Screen monitor and the HDMI to the ACER Touchscreen which I kept mounted on the 'arm' in my workroom.

After my divorce I traveled a lot but my computer stayed in a place that required longer USB and HDMI cables to reach from the Desktop to the Monitor. I purchased them from Lindy (Lindytronics). Very high quality and had no problem for another year. That was when the bottom fell out and these problems began. At first I though it was the USB cable as it does have an AC adapter due to its length. I had feared that it had somehow gotten a power surge. However the monitor never stopped working, only the touchscreen and USB ports located on it. For a while I could only use my computer for 15 minutes at a time because I had to have the desktop and monitor together. I put up with it for a few months, then came up with the solution to move the computer back to its original location and just run the USD to near where the monitor was (without plugging the monitor in) and I used a HUB to plug my keyboard, mouse, etc into). This was a short term solution, but required constant line of sight for the periferrals and they would get sketchy on me.

I am finally in a new home and am determined, one way or the other, that I will find a way to FIX THIS ISSUE !!!! Although I have repeatedly watched both the Acer and Asus site for updated drivers and solutions, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the Acer website FINALLY offers an updated driver, BUT it is for Windows 10. Well **** !!! I knew I would regret it (and I did) but I went ahead and paid for Windows 10 Home online and did the Digital Download/Install. Well I ended up with Black Screen Nightmare. Not completely the Black Screen of Death. At least when it stuck on the black screen, the Asus Logo for my desktop was front and center. After more research (using my trusty ipad) I got to Bios (or actually UEFI) with the power up/power down 3 times repeatedly then hitting Delete. Of course it took about 15 different occurrences of this and following 5 different blog/online help sites, that with the Windows 8 Pro disk in the computer, I finally managed to get it to STOP trying to install Windows 10 and revert to Windows 8, which it installed from the Disc. I have not yet applied for my refund for the $120 Windows 10, because that only happened a week ago and I have 30 days. I am hoping that I can get help in getting my touchscreen back before that, because I am not sure I have it in me to deal with the install of Windows 10.

I kindly request any and all help, but please refer to what I have done thus far so as to not take your time posting solutions that I know have not worked. Also, if you make any recommendations about working in the C: window or Bios(UEFI ) I will need DETAILED instructions as I am NOT familiar with using the back end AT ALL.

What I can tell you from my previous tries, is that I have already searched drivers, thru windows, using a service I paid for called "Driver Navigator" which did find a LOT of missing drivers from my system, thru Asus and thru Acer. The Acer driver does say it is supposed to work for Windows 8, but when you download the driver and unzip the files, there is no .exe file. The install extension is .hckx which does not work. I have read all about Acer and Windows and the whole issue with them submitting their products (or drivers) to Windows to be an 'approved part' of the Windows Driver Updates, blah blah blah. That is all good knowledge but basically just says I am screwed. I HAVE SEEN many people talk about USB BUS something being able to control the touchscreen but I don't know how to do that or find that out. I CAN SAY that in Device Manager in the HID section there WAS listed and HID-Touchscreen, but it has gone away and I have never been able to get it back,

I just dont understand why if I did a complete reset from all the components that I started with (which allowed it to work then) that it didnt just start working again.

To make you aware, while I am working on fixing this issue, I am running dual monitors (one touch one not) and dual mice (wired and not). Additionally all hardware is running off the factory provided cables. No extensions. Finally, in case it makes a difference my monitor is:

ACER T232HL-4

NVIDIA Hi-Def Audio (yes, audio still works)

on NVIDIA GeForce GT 620

In the Device Manager Event Log it shows:

"Driver Management concluded the process to install driver t232hl.inf_amd64_8faf33ed019417e0\t232hl.inf for Device Instance ID DISPLAY\ACR013A\5&326CC178&0&UID1048849 WITH THE FOLLOWING STATUS: 0X0."

**Computer thinks All Drivers are up tp date and all Devices/Hardware are functioning properly**

and my Desktop is:

ASUS CM6830

Intel i7-3770

8gb Ram

64-bit Op System, x64-based Processor

and currently in the 'System' screen after "Pen and Touch:"

is states "No Pen or Touch is available for this Display"

In Device Manager under Human Interface Devices the list ONLY includes:

Compliant Consumer Control Devices

Compliance Device

Microsoft Hardware USB Keyboard

Microsoft USB Mouse

USB Input Device

(there are a multitude of listings for each when I chose to show 'hidden')

I hope someone has a solution.

Thanks in advance for your help and patience.

Rebecca

Continue reading...

Back