Windows 10 Troubleshooting and repairing Windows 10 problems

• Thread starter Thread starter csgo accounts
  • Start date Start date
C

csgo accounts

In June 2016, a month before the free Windows 10 upgrade offer ended, Microsoft said that 350 million devices were actively running Windows 10. With new PC sales and last-minute upgrades, that number is probably around 400 million now.

In multiple interviews over the past year, Microsoft executives and managers have told me, on and off the record, that the telemetry, the user data that identifies potential problems, looks very good. They also insist that customer satisfaction, as measured through independent surveys, is high.

Your Windows 10 troubleshooting and repair...SEE FULL GALLERY
b3d71743a51ae27dac981cca5240cb0d.png

68aff9cb0238863a126a413ab2825bba.png

3ca1009a104f361c486c30c54eaea870.png

ea4775422fafa9d9c6e3875bcfa8624b.png

53a01219598f929110830235867fb7c2.png

1 - 5 of 11
NEXT

But with a user base that large, even a tiny percentage of problems represents a very large number. Given the diversity of hardware and software in the Windows ecosystem, I would be shocked if the Anniversary Update to Windows 10, version 1607, were truly problem-free. And sure enough, the latest round of updates comes with its own litany of complaints.

I've read reports of the Anniversary Update resulting in systems that freeze after the upgrade completes. Microsoft says it's aware of the issue, which it says affects "a small number" of users. In an official forum thread, a Microsoft spokesperson confirms the issue, which seems to occur most often on systems configured with two drives:

From users posting here and visiting the Microsoft Store, we have been able to collect log files and are looking into why a small set of users with the two drive configuration (SSD as OS with a second data drive) are experiencing this while the majority with the same configuration proceed as normal.​

My experience confirms that this issue is sporadic; I have multiple systems configured with system files on an SSD and data on a separate drive and have not experienced any freezing issues.

Other issues with the Anniversary Update can, unfortunately, be traced directly back to Redmond. An issue that causes some webcams to stop working after a minute or so, for example, is the result of a design decision by Microsoft engineers, who apparently didn't talk to customers before disabling some widely used codecs.

Another problem affects the PowerShell Desired State Configuration feature. (Contrary to some headlines, it doesn't "break PowerShell.") That issue was caused by Microsoft shipping an update package that was missing a crucial file. A replacement patch should be available this week.

The good news is that the latter two issues will be fixed in short order. Microsoft says it will ship a patch for the webcam flaw in September. (If you need to use your older USB webcam in the interim, the registry fix suggested in this Stack Overflow thread might help.) The bad news is that similar glitches are nearly certain to occur again, as an inevitable by-product of the "Windows as a service" model that delivers new features alongside bug fixes and security updates.
MORE WINDOWS 10
  • 'Safe and predictable' Windows 10 S won't run Linux, says Microsoft
  • Windows 10 credential theft: Google is working on fix for Chrome flaw
  • Windows 10: Microsoft reveals new look for its flagship OS
  • Windows WannaCry: This separate, 'bigger' malware attack also uses NSA's exploit
  • Windows ransomware: WannaCrypt shows why NSA shouldn't stockpile exploits, says Microsoft
  • Upgrade already! If you're still using Windows XP, you're a menace to society

As part of the research for my book Windows 10 Inside Out (the second edition is coming out this fall), I've spent a lot of time on official and unofficial support forums and talking to fellow support professionals who are in the trenches with businesses. I have also received a fair number of reader emails and have gone through some remote troubleshooting with a handful of readers.

My impression, based on 25 years of Windows troubleshooting experience, is that this release of Windows is above average in terms of reliability. But it's far from perfect, and Microsoft still has some serious work to do to get its update process under control.

If you'd prefer not to deal with update-related issues, you can and probably should wait to install the Anniversary Update. Based on experience with the initial Windows 10 launch (build 10240) and the version 1511 release, most issues that arose after the initial release in the first 60 days were resolved. That's the Windows 10 telemetry feature working as expected.

To delay the installation of the Anniversary Update, follow the instructions in this post. Note that you must be running Windows 10 Pro or csgo accounts Enterprise edition to do so. If you have a system running Windows 10 Home, you can currently upgrade to Pro using a product key from Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate or Windows 8/8.1 Pro. (Note that the option to upgrade using product keys from earlier editions might stop working at some future point, so I recommend that you do so sooner rather than later.)

Go to Settings > Update & Security > Activation, click Change Product Key, and type or paste the key. The upgrade takes only a few minutes

In the remainder of this post, I want to share some other tools, tips, and techniques I use for troubleshooting problems with Windows 10. I've used these tactics with desktop PCs, notebooks, hybrids, and tablets, and in most cases they've allowed me to find and fix the underlying problem.

(I've also put together a visual guide to Windows 10's built-in troubleshooting tools. See "Your Windows 10 troubleshooting and repair toolkit.")

Most of what's in this list is time-tested stuff, using tools that been evolving since the early days of Windows. There are some very cool new tools in Windows 10, though, which are worth finding.

Occasionally, the return on your troubleshooting investment simply isn't worth it. Rather than spend hours trying to track down some weird bug or software interaction, I use Windows 10's Reset option to perform the equivalent of a clean install. The process is quick and extremely robust, and the results allow you to get back to work much faster than the old-school "clean install from a Windows DVD" option. If you've already installed version 1607, this reset will give you a clean copy of 1607. To go back to the previous version, you'll need to use installation media you created before August 2, 2016.

Is Windows 10 telemetry a threat to your personal privacy?

Microsoft has built an entirely new telemetry system for its 'Windows as a Service' engineering model. In Windows 10, you can dial data collection back almost to zero, but you can't turn it off completely. Here's why.

• Read More

If you're having problems, I recommend that you stay well clear of what I call "snake oil" solutions: registry cleaners and so-called performance optimizers that promise to work magic but usually cause more problems than they solve.

Also, be skeptical of solutions you read about in support forum threads. On the Reddit thread for the Anniversary Update freezing issue, for example, there are dozens of possible "solutions" available. If you're planning to try one or more of those options, do so one at a time. If a supposed fix doesn't work for you, undo the change, restart, and move on to the next.

COMMON PROBLEMS
I'm assuming you've managed to upgrade and activate Windows 10 properly. Having cleared those hurdles, here are the most common problems people are likely to experience.

• Nonresponsive shell. Windows 10 has a completely different shell than prior versions. The Explorer.exe process is still at its core, but there are a few additional components as well that make the "modern experience" possible. If you click the Start button and nothing happens, or if the entire taskbar refuses to respond to interaction, open Task Manager (press Ctrl+Shift+Escape), find Windows Explorer in the task list, and click the Restart button.

Continue reading...

Back