Windows 10 Trying to fix Windows 10 Boot Files; Previous methods have failed and I don't know what to do

• Thread starter Thread starter SuperKidoftheStars
  • Start date Start date
S

SuperKidoftheStars

Computer: ASUS K55A

Processor: Intel Core i5 (3rd Generation) (Forgot the model number)

RAM: 4 GB

Storage: 465 GB

OS: Windows 10 (Upgraded from Windows 8.1 using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool)

Hey Microsoft Community,

Yesterday, I logged into my computer using my Windows Hello PIN, however, the computer was taking a long time to pull up the desktop. In fact, it never pulled up the desktop, so I decided to force shut down the computer and try again.

Several attempts later, the computer is now going into Automatic Repair (well, it never said so explicitly; it showed the ASUS logo and "Please wait")

Once the recovery options came up, I first tried to use Startup Repair to repair Windows. Every single time that I tried it, it would always be unsuccessful, reporting that "Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC."

By this point, if I started the computer again, it would give me a blue screen. I can't re. ember what it said exactly, but it said something related to not having enough information start Windows, and this error code: 0xc0000098.

With that, after some looking around online, I decided to use a Windows Media Creation USB to attempt to repair Windows. I first attempted to reinstall Windows, keeping the files on my computer, but the program wouldn't let me, basically saying that I needed to upgrade Windows once the computer had started.

I went back to the Computer Repair options again, and tried Startup Repair again, grtting the same error (Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC), so, I went to the Command Prompt. I checked the hard drive using the chkdsk command, and got no issues with the drive. Once I was done with that, I tried running some bootrec commands. 2 of them gave me problems.

bootrec /fixboot always returned "Access is denied." I do not know why I get this error, so after looking online, I went to diskpart. Whenever I would list the partitions on the computer, however, I never saw a pattition labeled EFI or anything similar. Here are the partitions and drives listed when I run list vol:

Note: I set the Drive letter of volume 3 to B earlier in an attempt to set the EFI partition. I was trying to set the partition labeled "SYSTEM" to B to set it as the Boot partition. Obviously, it didn't work.

Volume # Ltr Label Fs Type

Volume 0 E DVD-ROM

Volume 1 Recovery NTFS Partition

Volume 2 C OS NTFS Partition

Volume 3 B NTFS Partition

Volume 4 Restore NTFS Partition

Volume 5 SYSTEM FAT32 Partition

Volume 6 D WINDOWS 10 FAT32 Partition

The Volumes have varying sizes, and they're all healthy, with the exception of the DVD-ROM, which says "No Media". The SYSTEM Volume says that it is "Hidden."

bootrec /rebuildbcd would return where Windows was installed (C:\Windows), however, whenever I would tell it to add it to the boot list, it would always tell me, "The system cannot find the path specified." It may be that Windows is not installed there, and if it's not, I don't know where else it could be.

I don't know what else to do. I am well aware that this whole mess was sort of my fault, but I don't know how to fix the errors that I'm getting.

TL;DR: Windows 10 is failing to boot, and I'm getting the error code 0xc0000098. Startup Repair is failing, and bootrec /rebuildbcd and bootrec /fixboot aren't working properly.

Thank you very much in advance!

Continue reading...

Back