Windows 10 Trying to rename a file in the "WindowsApps" folder

• Thread starter Thread starter theblippie
  • Start date Start date
T

theblippie

Hi,

Apologies if this has been answered previously, but I couldn't find an answer using Google!

I am trying to apply a couple of mods for the game "State of Decay 2", which is located in the WindowsApps folder.

Before I replace any files etc, I've always found it good practice to rename the old ones, with a ".OLD" at the end of the filename, so that any unsuccessful mods can be reversed without too much trouble. However, when I try to rename the relevant files in this folder, I get a "File Access Denied" prompt, telling me I need to provide admin permission -

When I click continue, I get the following prompt -

However, this is the user I am logged in as! I have previously set this user to be the "Owner" of the whole WindowsApps folder, and when I go to the Properties/Security/Advanced window for the specific file I am trying to rename , I am showing as having full control of it... so I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to proceed further. Any help would be much appreciated!

*Edit - as an experiment, I tried deleting the file alluded to above - this was a success, but I now cannot restore the file, as I get the File Access Denied error again!

Thanks in advance.

Continue reading...

Back