Windows 10 Unable to authenticate as administrator, multiple devices, multiple clients, domain and non domain bound

• Thread starter Thread starter Strangair
  • Start date Start date
S

Strangair

Hi All,

First time posting here, but though as there is absolutely no information from Microsoft and seems like no other forums have picked up on this I will tell you a story about my frustration. Summery is below if you don't want to read it all.

We started getting strange error late last year, about August/September. What was happening was when logged in as a user (no admin rights) and helping them install the software (using domain admin credentials) the installation just pops up with an error (the error is always different, but usually related to unable to access a folder or file).

Checking the event logs we found that there was a particular dll that was causing this error (credprovhost.dll). As it was only one client at the time, we thought it was a faulty installation so we rebuilt the device and all was good.

A week or two later, the same issue propped up on device belonging to another client then two more clients, even for new clients that we had taken on board and had never touched their devices.

And for every client, it was always the credprovhost.dll that was causing the issue.

We found the only solution so far is to either run SFC scan and DISM to try and fix the problem, but so far we have had 50/50 success rate with this. The other method, which is not ideal is to get a working dll from another machine on the same domain as the affected device, go into recovery, open a command prompt and overwrite the dll.

Since then we have had many devices with the same issue as it and we are all pulling out our hair to resolve this as it makes our work harder and clients are frustrated due to this. We have not found another dll that is causing the issue, and surprise surprise it's from the same group of dll the last one was in (cp.dll).

Summary:

Issue: Unable to authenticate whilst on user profile (domain and non-domain)

Error: Cannot access a file or folder during installation or if opening a windows feature e.g. device manager, will ask for credentials, pause a moment and then the device manager would disappear without error. (Error is in Event Viewer)

Event Log: shows that the errors are with two dll files either credprovhost.dll or cp.dll

What works
: replacing the dll file with a working dll file from a computer on the same domain.

What works sometimes: running SFC scan and DISM

Hopefully, the information I've provided is clear, my main thing is that I would like to know if others have also faced this or a similar issue as I really would like Microsoft to engage us on this.

Continue reading...

Back