Windows 10 Unable to create Windows 10 recovery drive on 2 computers so is there an alternative?

• Thread starter Thread starter Steven Haymes
  • Start date Start date
S

Steven Haymes

To All,

I am unable to create a Windows 10 recovery drive on 2 different computers. Both of these computers came with the original release of Windows 10 and have gone through several Windows 10 upgrades. For background, I wanted to create the recovery drives as a precaution before upgrading to 1903, which actually went very well with only some minor network and sound issues to fix afterwards. On both computers, I have "Back up system files to the recovery drive" checked on the recovery drive tool.

On my laptop, I was repeatedly unable to create a Windows 10 recovery drive, with the recovery drive tool stopping with the message "A problem occurred while creating the recovery drive".

On the desktop, the recovery drive tool repeatedly completed but the system files were not copied over as the USB flash drive held less than 6 GB.

On both computers, I:

1. ran the system file checker with "sfc /scannow" to correct for any system errors before running the recovery drive tool
  2. tried different 32 GB flash drives
  3. tried both standard and quick formatting of the flash drives to FAT32 before running the recovery drive tool with "format E: /V:RECOVERY" and "format e: /Q /V:RECOVERY" - but this should not matter as the Recovery Drive tool formats the USB flash drive to FAT 32 anyway.

I have seen posts on the Internet about others having similar problems creating a Windows 10 recovery drive. Is there a solution? Can the Windows 10 media installation creation tool be used as a (partial) solution if I cannot create a Windows 10 recovery drive?

Thanks,

Steve

Continue reading...

Back