Windows 10 Unable to re-engage File History backup. Error: Reselect your File History drive -We found errors in your File History settings. Tap or click to rese

• Thread starter Thread starter ThinksHeIsATech
  • Start date Start date
T

ThinksHeIsATech

Unable to re-engage File History backup. Recently (within the last few weeks), begin getting error messages, and now I see the last backup is from January 3, 2019. Using File History on a laptop running the latest release of Windows 10 (i.e. I do not stop Microsoft from installing Windows Updates on Microsoft's schedule). Of course, because it is a laptop, I have to disconnect the external drives when I take my laptop away from my office. I shutdown the computer prior to disconnecting the drives, and they appear to reconnect, with the same drive letter designations when I return to the office.

First error message / dialogue box:
File History
Reselect your File History drive -We found errors in your File History settings. Tap or click to reselect your drive.

I proceed to click, bringing up the next window

A list of all the external hard drives connected to my laptop:
(G) Toshiba 1.5TB Black - an external hard drive in use with a cloud backup program, which will also make a local backup if a hard drive it attached.
1.00 TB free of 1.36 TB
(I) WD My Passport 4.0TB Black (I) - a 4TB drive divided into two (2) 2TB partitions. This drive, I, is the one on which my File History backup exists
0.98 TB free of 1.81 TB
(H) WD My Passport 4.0TB Black (H) - second 2TB partition. Using Western Digital WD Backup to backup to this portion
6.85 GB free of 1.81 TB
(D) Removable Disk - a Micro SD Card inserted into the designated port on my laptop.
O bytes free of 119 GB

I choose WD My Passport 4.0TB Black (I)

Next I am prompted to "Select an existing backup"
There is only one backup from which to choose
User name (mine)
Computer name (name of my laptop)
Last backup date 1/3/2019 11.02 PM
I click on this entry and then click the OK at the bottom of the window

Next dialogue box pops up:
Do you want to use this drive for File History again?
This drive doesn't have your most recent file. To restore those files you will need to select the drive you last used.
Of note is that some of the alpha characters in this dialogue box are not regular letter characters. There is a lower case a with a accent, another strange character, the TM (trademark) in superscript. These characters appear twice in the dialogue box. Otherwise the message is readable.

I choose Yes

This brings me back to the beginning, meaning full cycle to the first error message:
Reselect your File History drive -We found errors in your File History settings. Tap or click to reselect your drive.

I took a look at the Event Viewer and this was the message:
Unable to start a backup cycle for configuration C:\Users\(Username)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Thank you.

Continue reading...

Back