Windows 10 Unable to update time via Internet

• Thread starter Thread starter lukpac
  • Start date Start date
L

lukpac

Today I happened to notice that my PC was a couple of minutes off, and that it hadn't synchronized time in a few months. I tried to manually synchronize, but it does not work. I have tried the following servers:

time.windows.com

pool.ntp.org

time.nist.gov

time-a.nist.gov

time-b.nist.gov

In all cases, I get the following error:

"An error occurred while Windows was synchronizing with [server name]. This operation returned because the timeout period expired."

In Event Viewer, there's an associated event with Event ID 158, source Time-Service:

"The time provider 'VMICTimeProvider' has indicated that the current hardware and operating environment is not supported and has stopped. This behavior is expected for VMICTimeProvider on non-HyperV-guest environments. This may be the expected behavior for the current provider in the current operating environment as well."

A quick search suggests VMICTimeProvider is for virtual Hyper-V servers, but this is my desktop, not a VM, not in a domain.

I've seen recommendations to run these commands as an admin:

net stop w32time
w32tm /unregister
w32tm /register
net start w32time

But doing so makes no difference.

I just tried turning off Windows Defender Firewall to see if that would help. It didn't.

Using NTPQuery, as found here:

I'm able to ping the above time servers without any problems. So the issue does not seem to be network connectivity.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro, Version 1909, OS Build 18363.752, which as of the moment seems to be the latest version available.

Continue reading...