Windows 10 Update 1709

• Thread starter Thread starter IanBancroft
  • Start date Start date
I

IanBancroft

I would like to share my solution to the 1709 install problems.

I apologise for the length of this discussion article, but it will be worthwhile reading to the end as this does work.

First here is a copy of my questions and the answers provided by the community gurus.

Q:Feature update 1709 win10 Second Question
rsp-content-status-subscribed.png

This was my first question and the answer.

Feature update to Windows 10 version 1709
rsp-content-status-subscribed.png

I managed to get this update installed on my laptop after the automatic download and install failed 4 times. Must have been a fluke to get it installed because now it will not install on my desktop even repeating my laptop install actions. These were. Ran wu troubleshooter several times. Disabled start up apps for a clean boot. Disabled my Norton firewall after download but before restart. Checked BIOS for first boot on hard drive. Now the update on the desktop gets to the stage where it says "Configuring update for Windows 10. 100% complete. Do not turn off your computer". And it freezes. The mouse and keypad are unresponsive. This has happened three times. Even after leaving it for 5 hours the last time, Only way to go forward is to turn off the computer and then turn it on again. This re-activates the install which them starts working on the updates and goes through to 100%. But then gives a message "reverting to previous version". And WU in settings then indicates that the computer is up to date. But next time I turn it on the feature update starts to download again. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. I am chewing up my data allowance on repeat downloads. NOT GOOD. What I want to know is how do I turn off the automatic download of this feature update because I do not want it or need it because the desktop does not even have a touch screen for the features. PLEASE MICROSOFT is there a way to deactivate the automatic download of this feature.

Nick Dich
replied on
Microsoft

Hi Ian,

Can you tell us what is the current version build is your computer running? Errors that cannot be fixed by the Windows Update Troubleshooter sometimes comes from incorrect version build number, or if your computer is in a higher version to what is currently being offered. We also have an article on our support site that can help you with this issue. Kindly visit the link provided here, follow the troubleshooting path, and skip the Windows Update Troubleshooter if you already have done it: Fix Windows Update issues.

On the other hand, we will also provided you with a Forum Article created by one of our Community MVPs named Andre Da Costa, regarding on how to block automatic updates on your computer. Please visit the link provided here: How to: block automatic updates in Windows 10.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

The answer did not work.

I am running Widows 10 Home Version 1703 On build 15063.786 Every update prior to this feature update version 1709 installed successfully.

Thanks for the help Nick, but:.

The stand alone installer from the link that you provided also failed to complete the install.

The error code indicates a software or driver conflict. But I have not installed any new apps for 9 months so there should be no app conflicts. Unless apps updating has caused it. In which case I would have no idea which one. And anyway the clean boot should take care of that.

I have checked every driver and some did update, but the problem remains the same.

I have since run chkdsk/f and DSIM.exe/ Online/ Cleanup-image/ Restorehealth. Both gave a clean bill of health with no problems found or fixed. Also ran sfc /scannow which found no integrity violations.

I think that the problem is in the startup/restart files. The installs/computer were freezing (as I mentioned) whenever a restart /reboot was being run by the install.

So I have test run restart from the start menu several times and the same freeze happens. The re-start is not happening and the only way to reactivate the computer (and any running processes) is to turn it off and then turn it on again manually.

This restart problem has only happened sine the 1709 download came into the computer so it could be that the update is the conflict. Judging by the number of complaints in the community pages this is very likely.

I have the sleep setting on "never" because the updates take so long to process.

I have the power setting for the hard drive on 60 minutes.

I have fast startup off.

I have hibernate off.

Now, I can not even change any setting in the computer, or do a clean boot because the restart has to be used for any changes to take effect and it does not work. So the computer is virtually useless. Lucky that I also have a laptop on which this is being typed.

I hope that you have some suggestions because I have run out of ideas and am thinking of a complete reinstall of win10. But reluctant because of all the download data that this will entail ( I only get 25gb per month on my plan). Also I have no hard media and only have the product key because my machine was previously running vista.

And. If the restart does not work, then even a complete reinstall will fail.

So questions.

1. What version and build of windows will download from the Download Windows 10 create media download.
2. Because I do not have hard media, can I use my product key to obtain the download.

3. Will an install from hard media require a restart for the media to work.

And for the record my computer is an Acer i5-2310 CPU@ 2.9GHz . 64 bit O/S
6.00 GB ram 1TB HD so should be OK for this update.

JO
Jefferson Ore
replied on
Microsoft

Hi Ian,

User profile corruption can affect your system's performance, specially when installing Windows updates. To troubleshoot the issue, we suggest performing the troubleshooting methods below:

Method 1: Check Windows Firewall :

1. Press Windows Key + R. Run Dialogue Box will open up.
2. Type Firewall.cpl and Click OK.

3. Click on “Turn Windows Firewall On or Off”

4. In Private network Setting, select “Turn off Windows firewall (not recommended)”
5. Do the same for Public Network Setting.

6. Press OK.

Note: After the issue is resolved you must turn the Windows Firewall on.

Method 2: Disable any installed Antivirus/Malware/Adware Program Temporarily:

Sometimes, an antivirus or malware/adware programs marks Microsoft Windows installer files as spam and blocks them from being installed. Please refer your vendors website for disabling it temporarily. Once installation is done you can activate it again.

Method 3: Perform a clean boot:

If these methods still doesn’t help, we recommend you to perform a clean boot to eliminate the influence of the 3rd party software and check again. Please refer to the link below onhow to perform a clean boot in Windows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Should you have further questions, please let us know.

IanBancroft
replied on

Thank you Nick and thank you Jefferson

All of the suggestions have failed including a reset with personal files, apps, and settings retained. All failing because the restart function on the computer is not working. Computer shuts down to restart and stays shut down. Frozen.

Unfortunately, because the restart has completely stopped working, I can not do any repair work on my desktop computer. So I can not change any start up settings and can not install updates that require a restart, or repair windows which requires restarts. I am using my laptop for this message. So I have downloaded windows onto a USB. But the reset requires restarts and so the reset fails. I thought that I could do a complete FRESH install of windows using the USB download but my product key for the version that I have in the computer (1703 Build 15063.850) will not activate the install and the program will not override my current installed version. Which is obviously corrupted. So I am forced to a last resort of trying to do a reset with all of my personal setting, apps, data deleted. This is a disgrace that microsoft has released an update that is causing so many problems. I will post whether this latest attempt works after the several hours that it wastes every time.

IanBancroft
replied on
Another update. The USB install worked ,but all of my personal stuff needs to be copied back in. However, the install is not version 1709, which needs to be installed as an update. I have run out of data allowance and will run the download and install after 14/01. New data month. I will post back whether this works and whether all of the glitches with the restart function are fixed.

NOW THIS IS WHAT I HAVE DONE TO STOP THE UPDATE FROM CONTINUALLY DOWNLOADING AND ATTEMTING TO INSTALL.

First make your network connection a "metred connection"

Do this in "settings" / "network and internet" / "Status" / "change connection properties" / "set as a metred connection" /"on"

Now microsoft will only download critical updates.

Block the 1709 update from downloading for ever by utilising the "block automatic updates tool"

As described in this article by Andre De Costa MVP

Forum Article How to: block automatic updates in Windows 10
Technical Level : Basic

Summary

Windows Update in particular features some major changes. Since the introduction of Windows Update as part of Windows, Microsoft has delivered updates as a way to keep Windows updated and secure. This has always been the way the company keeps commercial versions of Windows on the market current. With Windows 10, Microsoft is making significant changes to this model by delivering new methods of servicing the operating system. Taking into account we now live in a mobile, constantly connected world where threats happen all the time. Part of the solution to this is to keep users current by providing the latest updates as soon as they are available in addition to delivering features as soon as they ready too…automatically.

Details

Windows 10 Home users can pretty much expect to mandatorily install all critical Windows Updates. Windows 10 Pro will let you delay updates for a period of time. Customers running the Enterprise edition will have complete control over Windows Update. Why I think this is a good idea is based on my years of coming across PC’s, laptops running Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 from a friend or relative that has not been updated since they first booted it up.

This mandatory procedure finally takes care of that. Users on metered connections should not worry though, updates are not downloaded automatically when your Internet connection is set as metered/mobile broadband.

a3543549-44cc-418d-a2a9-12fe944a9855

Defer upgrades in Windows 10

• Some Windows 10 editions let you defer upgrades to your PC. When you defer upgrades, new Windows features won’t be downloaded or installed for several months. Deferring upgrades doesn’t affect security updates. Note that deferring upgrades will prevent you from getting the latest Windows features as soon as they’re available.

Source: Microsoft

Is there an option or work around to block updates or hardware drivers that might cause problems?

Yes, Microsoft has released a KB update (KB3073930) that will let users block or hide Windows or driver updates.

375a44a0-f608-4ad4-9475-a91ae6cb0dac

You can download it at the following link:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

When you click on the download link, you will be prompted to open or save wushowhide.diagcab.

3076930.png

Opening wushowhide.diagcab will launch the troubleshooter. Then click Next to proceed and follow the instructions provided by the troubleshooter to hide the problematic driver or update.

When you open the troubleshooter there will be a list of many updates and it is only necessary to highlight the 1709 update. This will block it completely.

Hopefully this will assist many in the community and save the hours of time that are being wasted with an update that will clearly never successfully install on many computers.

Continue reading...

Back