Windows 10 Upgrade installation failure: "your files apps and settings can't be kept because you're installing an edition of windows that's different than the on

• Thread starter Thread starter GaryPenovich
  • Start date Start date
G

GaryPenovich

I have been attempting to upgrade from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10. Unfortunately, when it comes time to "Choose what to keep", the choice to keep my Apps, Settings, and Files is grayed out, and not selectable. The explanation as to why I can't select that option is at the bottom of the dialog window, "your files apps and settings can't be kept because you're installing an edition of windows that's different than the one you're currently using". (Screenshot attached)
I do not understand what is meant by "edition". Obviously, it's a different version, as I'm going from 7 to 10, which should be capable of saving apps, settings, etc. If it's referring to Home, Pro, etc, then shouldn't the Media Creation tool create the appropriate edition's media (Win10 Pro) for the system I'm running the tool on (Win7 Ultimate)? If it is referring to language, I am running "en-us", which, again, shouldn't the MCT create the appropriate language edition for?
Is there a workaround to correct this erroneous error message? (FYI, it is not the "unsupported directory" error, and my Program Files folder is correct in the Registry. So, I don't need instructions on fixing that.) If it were up to me, I'd run Windows 7 on my main system forever, as I prefer it to Windows 10. (I have Win10 on my knockaround laptops.) But, MS dropping security updates and new apps not supporting Win7 makes this upgrade inevitable. But, I do not want to have to install all of my apps from scratch all over again. That's a non-starter.

Continue reading...

Back