Windows 10 US (Qwerty) keyboard layout re-installs itself whenever I inspect Language settings (via Control Panel or via Settings)

• Thread starter Thread starter JimmyAntrip
  • Start date Start date
J

JimmyAntrip

L.S.,

I noticed a lot of threats on similar topics (and tried some of the suggested solutions). However, my issue is slightly different (and might shed a light on the related ones?).

I've managed to get the following configuration (which is what I want):

- W10 display language is English (US)

- My Country/Region is set to The Netherlands

- My Keyboard Layout (input method) is United Stated-International (which makes typing frequently needed accents in Dutch texts easy)

- I have no additional Keyboard Layouts, since United States-International always works for me.

I noticed the following undesirable behavior:

a) Whenever I inspect (without making any changes!) the Settings/Time and Language/Region and Language, the Input Method icon (with caption: ENG) appears on my task bar, offering two keyboards: United States-International and US. There is one language listed: English (United States), and in the Options for that language I see now two keyboard layouts: United States-International (Qwerty) and US (Qwerty).

b) Whenever I inspect the settings using Control Panel/Language exactly the same is the case. One language: English (United States), and two input methods: United States-International and US.

In any of the two cases I can delete the US keyboard layout, but it reappears whenever I inspect again as described above. However, if I delete the US keyboard and then reboot, the task bar no longer shows the Input Method icon and the United States-International (Qwerty) Input Method/keyboard layout is active.

In short: US (Qwerty) keyboard layout re-installs itself whenever I inspect Language settings (via Control Panel or via Settings). My questions:

1. Why does US keyboard/input method - or more generally: any keyboard/input method) automatically install itself upon inspection of the Langauge settings?

2. How can I prevent this from happening?

Best regards,

Paul

Continue reading...

Back