Windows 10 usb device malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it

• Thread starter Thread starter rgm113
  • Start date Start date
R

rgm113

I installed windows 10 x64 on a new machine yesterday and am having a problem with some of my usb devices. simple things like my mouse (which is usb 3.0) and other user interface components which are usb 2.0 are working normal but a mass storage drive, a set of usb 3.0 headphones, and any thumb drives I use do not show up or even attempt to turn on. I've tried all the different plugs both on the case and the board with same results, updated all usb drivers both generic and root both from the internet search suggestion and from files on the pc with no changes. The only device I can see anywhere when plugged in is in the device manager under "unknown usb device (device descriptor request failed). I've attempted updating both ways and uninstalling and letting windows reinstall on start up all with same results. I found a suggestion to use regedit to edit the registry with HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\USB. But my machine doesn't have an line like that in the local machine. Whats my next step?, oh and I have also completely updated windows with multiple restarts and rechecks for new updates. windows says its completely up to date and all usb drives with best drivers for my machine.

home build desktop

AS Rock x79 extreme 4 motherboard

intel I7 3930k CPU

32 gb corsair ram

Samsung 860 250 gb ssd c drive

Samsung 860 500gb ssd d drive

wd blue 1tb hdd e drive

wd velociraptor hdd 500gb f drive

windows 10 home 64 bit (OS build 17134.228)

used as flight sim pc

iv also completely updated windows with multiple restarts and rechecks for new updates. windows says its completely up to date and all usb drives with best drivers for my machine.

The problem occurs any time I plug in one of the devices mentioned above. some work and some don't. when I plug in the headphones I sometimes get a warning saying "the last usb device you pluged in malfunctioned and windows dose not recognize it and that and some other known good devices do not work.

Continue reading...

Back