Windows 10 Use two mono speakers for stereo sound

• Thread starter Thread starter SlickRCBD
  • Start date Start date
S

SlickRCBD

I was just offered a used DVI/VGA monitor with a built-in speaker that was marginally better than the old NEC VGA monitor I've been using for a secondary display. The relative just got a new HDMI monitor since their new computer lacks those ports.

I've been using what is technically a television (though I'm not sure what the difference is these days other than a TV having a few extra features such as a built-in tuner, unlike in the days of CRTs) and it's own built-in speaker for sound via HDMI.

While the TV is supposed to be stereo sound (and it is if I plug in some headphones) it only seems to have one speaker meaning that some games that use sound to give you warning don't give me the direction unless I use headphones.

Since this "new" monitor also has a port to plug in an audio cable, is there a way to channel right-side audio to the HDMI audio and left-side audio to the conventional line-out jack?

Also is there any up or down side to using the HDMI port and the DVI port on the video card, instead of having one monitor connected to the video card, and the other hooked up to the VGA port on the built-in integrated video?

I know the obvious of freeing more RAM and processing power as I won't be using the integrated video, but at this stage I haven't run into any memory issues with 16GB of RAM available. I know that will change in a few years. Hopefully this computer will still be good in 5 years.

Anyways, does Windows 10 support assigning left and right audio to speakers connected via HDMI and line-out instead of being paired like normal stereo speakers?

BTW, I haven't dug out the audio cable (it's somewhere in a big box with a mess of spare cables in the basement. Everything including serial, VGA, power, parallel, type-A to type-b USB, etc thrown in a box for storage), so if this should have been obvious as soon as I connected the second speaker and looked at the sound settings, I apologize. I'm still using the HDMI only.

Continue reading...

Back