Windows 10 User folder - security changed

• Thread starter Thread starter XpoizonEximus
  • Start date Start date
X

XpoizonEximus

Hello!

I have recently installed Windows 10 on a new storage drive. I also kept the older drive with it's own Windows 10 (licensed with it's own key). From now on, will refer to winC as the fresh install and winD as the previous install. So, I booted my pc on winC and started to copy all my files on the new drive, including the ones being stored in the user's folder of winD (D:\Users\xpoiz\)(copying the content within each one, not the folders themselves). To do that I was asked to gain access to the winD user's folder, as it was not part of winC installation. It went well, with just a click I managed to acces winD user's folder.

Note: This is my personal computer so a single windows account was used to login on both winD and winC simultaneously. No other account was created for those installations.

Everything went very well, I have managed to copy more than 99% of all files. But there were a few files (text files with source code) that refused to let me access them (something about security and ownership, too). To solve this problem, I booted on winD (the old installation) which granted me access to the respective files (note: nothing went wrong, the system booted normally) . My ideea was to copy them on winC user's folder, within the folders they belonged to. The transfer was a success. Although, in order to access winC user's folder within winD (prior the transfer process), I was again asked to have the permission for this action; this time it didn't take just a click (like the first time), instead, I needed to take the ownership of the whole winC user's folder. I've done that using the security tab in properties(such a huge mistake, I believe now), so that the transfer could be made (the owner was changed to xpoiz, the name User's folder has on both winD and winC and which was set by Windows during the installation; no other changes were made in the ownership window).

The problem appeared when I tried booting winC again. I was asked for the the account's pin (as usual) and after a very long time of waiting (considering a read speed of 3500 mb/s), a blank desktop appeared, along with a sign-in error message box:

I rebooted the system with the same result.

I clicked 'sign out' and then signed-in again with the same result.

So I clicked 'close' and went directly to winC user's folder and changed the ownership to xpoiz. I rebooted with the same result.

Searching (on a different device) about my problem, I've done the following:

* I booted Windows (winC) in safe-mode. I entered my pin and then waited small amount of time. The desktop that appeared was my true winC desktop, with all the shortcuts (including taskbar), as I left it before the winD boot.

* I booted again on normal mode (without doing anything else), but the result was the same.

From this point, I was afraid to take advice from the internet anymore. The only changes I've made were changing ownership to xpoiz within the safe-mode, then rebooting with no other result and changing the ownership to SYSTEM, within the normal mode, then rebooting.

Every time I boot in normal mode (winC) I am in the situation in the image.

I really cannot trust any solutions to similar issues on the Internet by myself because I don't want to harm the OS much more. Please help me! I could do a fresh installation again, but I would really rather not to.

P.S. Sorry for the length of the text, I wanted to tell you as much information as I could, so there wouldn't be any misunderstanding.

Thank you in advance!

Continue reading...

Back