Windows 10 VERY Slow file Copy Transfer Rate

• Thread starter Thread starter SteveSoke
  • Start date Start date
S

SteveSoke

I am not sure if I am having a software setting or hardware issue.

I just installed a new SSD in my laptop (no problem there), instead of wasting the original 2TB HDD I bought a CDROM Caddy to replace the CDROM drive. The 2TB HDD is secured in the caddy and connected via the existing port (no adapter needed).

The HDD is recognized in File Explorer as expected, but transfer rates have plummeted to 300 kbps to a max of 3 mbps. The HDD is partitioned in 2 drives and that slow rate is the same between partitions as it is between the HDD and SSD or HDD and USB drive. Before I moved it to the caddy I was getting 60 mbps average with 100 mbps max.

I guess it is possible I didn't reinstall the ribbon connector for the cdrom (now caddy) port 100% correctly, but figure it wouldn't work at all if that was the case (I haven't checked it because the HP Envy engineers had the brilliant idea of requiring removal of over a dozen screws AND prying the keyboard off, to get to the hard drive and RAM. None of this silly simple access door for them...)

My assumption is there is a setting I need to change, maybe because the drive is so large? Any ideas to make access to my 2TB HDD better than 5 1/4" floppy speed?

Thanks

Continue reading...

Back