Windows 10 VGA HP Monitor using HDMI adapter not detected by Windows 10 computer

• Thread starter Thread starter NicoleR2237
  • Start date Start date
N

NicoleR2237

First off, I want to say that I'm not really well versed in computers and technical stuff. Sorry for any misused terms or my general lack of knowledge regarding this.

My family had an older monitor (an HP S2031 Monitor, no HDMI, just VGA and DVI) that I decided to use it for a second screen. It already had a VGA cable, so I bought a VGA to HDMI adapter as my computer didn't have a VGA port. I also realized that my computer only had one HDMI port so I got a 4 way HDMI splitter. I have another monitor (A newer one) that works fine plugged into the splitter.

The newer monitor is displaying fine, however the older VGA monitor is not so cooperative. I connected it and the monitor is now telling me "Input Signal Out of Range: Change Settings to 1600x900 - 60 Hz." I went to the display settings on my computer and tried to get the computer to detect the monitor, however it didn't work. I updated the display adapter as well (a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti). I also downloaded an update from the NVIDIA website for it. Still doesn't work.

I changed my resolution to 1600x900 and restarted my computer. Still doesn't work.

The VGA to HDMI seems to work as when I put the HDMI into a different output on the splitter, the monitor reacts going out of sleep mode to on with that message being displayed, before going back to sleep mode.

I also opened the NVIDIA Control Panel and went to the 'Set up Multiple Displays' tab. Only the one new monitor shows up (like it does in the settings), so I went to 'My display is not shown...' and did the 'Rigorous Display Detection.' It says it is unable to find additional displays and asks if I would like television connection enabled.

That's really all the relevant information I can think of. I've been researching for other ways to solve this problem and I hope that this issue can be resolved with other people's help. Thank you.

Continue reading...