Windows 10 What Happened to USB keyboard trackpad in Win10 1909 January 2020 update

• Thread starter Thread starter MikeBrady29
  • Start date Start date
M

MikeBrady29

The January update has destroyed my RCA tablet/2-in-1.

It was working OK up through the December update. January update rolled in this morning. Now, the trackpad is dead, completely, the keyboard is laggy, and the touch screen requires several punches to make it do anything. Essentially, the computer is unusable. Tried uninstalling the update; briefly, everything worked again, then some of the January update came back and it's dead again. Can't block the update because it's Win10 Home.

Tried sfc /scannow - it found some corruption and fixed it. No help. Tried DISM /online /clean-image /restorehealth. No help. Have had driver problems in the past that were fixed with a system reset, so tried that. Worse than ever (reset is what made the touch screen go really bad). So I now have a (not quite smoking) piece of trash, thanks to this update.

I do have an image backup from a couple of weeks ago, so I may try that, but without the ability to block this update it'll happen again. Thanks for nothing, MS.

BTW, the update went through OK on the Windows side of a 10-year-old laptop that I dual boot with Linux Mint. Nothing appears to be broken. Though I've reverted to the Mint side for this note. So it's obviously that Windows doesn't like something about the tablet, and has determined to kill it. Interestingly, Mint came through with a security update to libgcrypt today - similar problem as with Windows?

Looking at the files affected by today's update, it appears that a bunch of hid****.sys files were touched. The touchpad (and keyboard) present as HID devices in Device Manager. Coincidence?

Edit: btw, plugging in a Logitech wireless mouse transponder and using that mouse works fine. So the problem appears to be something specific to the HID hardware of the tablet itself.

Continue reading...

Back