Windows 7 What is the point of having a User Account when I'm the only one on the computer?

• Thread starter Thread starter Bob Is Interested
  • Start date Start date
B

Bob Is Interested

Just doing a new install and for some reason it set up a single account as an Administrator. Normally it sets up a user account. It did ask me for this later as well (I think) this time and I titled it but then for some inexplicable reason it didn't seem to appear again and I just started getting things working through the Admin account. Well now, hours later, I realize that probably wasn't so wise. Normally I've read people recommend setting up a user and using the Admin account only when needed. As I'm the only user on this machine this all seems very redundant and just plain illogical. Microsoft acts like we are all running the world through our empirical network. We aren't. Most are like me. Single user. So I'm wondering if there's any way of somehow bringing all the settings I've spent hours adjusting, over to the user account? Or should I even use one? I just want to never have to open things as an Administrator as this wastes so much time. I've disabled Secondary Login and other "help" services where other people can change things on your computer and never use wifi on this machine. Hopefully the chance of me being hacked is minuscule.

Often I can't even open folders like Documents and Settings even when I log in as the Administrator. How can that even happen? Who is higher than the Administrator? The Administrator's Administrator? Its utterly baffling.

Under Properties of the drive, Security, I see 4 lines.

Authenticated Users

SYSTEM

Administrators (my_username\Administrators)

Users (my_username\Users)

You'd think I'd see Administrator and my_username. But no. That would be logical and pragmatic.

All seem to have full control except for Authenticated Users. Its just bizarre that Microsoft doesn't have popups that explain what each does. 99.99% of Windows users are just lost when they look at this. You just wonder what world these people were hatched in that designed this. Absolute ZERO logic here.

Maybe somebody here can cast some light on this. If they can't fix it in 12 years they're probably not going to bother now!

Continue reading...

Back