Windows 10 What is the reasoning behind trash services? Every single windows iteration includes a new one that makes Windows - by default - an unusable mess.

• Thread starter Thread starter Kardfogú
  • Start date Start date
K

Kardfogú

I thought, I've seen everything.

I thought, there are no more stupidity left in the world to happen.

Mistake.

There are so many useful services, disabled by default. Just like Volume Shadow Copy, which could have saved hundreds and thousands of written pages, family photos and other important data for my clients.

There are so many useless bloatware-like service enabled by default, that which never helped anyone ever.

I've seen "Prefetch", which was supposed to load all your common use tools and software.
It did exactly that. Like literally all of them the moment you log into your machine, just so you have to wait minutes before you have access to your desktop on a high end PC, instead of loading everything slow and steady in the background.

One hell of a failure.

I've seen several others.

Now what? One would expect, Microsoft learns from all the "disable this and suddenly your PC works" type of services.

We at IT have a whole list of services to disable - and wrote scripts to do so - just so a fresh new installation starts working. At all. The machine boots up and waits for user input. That's why we have computers in the first place by the way.

I honestly believe, Microsoft software developers have no clue why we have computers in the first place, they totally have no idea why we have those. They just run by the idea that: "Ohhh, they must have computers in their offices so that they can watch Windows install the same update over and over. Why don't we make that more exciting by overloading their network with unused trash data if we are at it? That will surely make everyone happy."

No. What we got with the latest update is a new one on the list. Delivery Optimization, the new name for cancer. That's how I call cancer from now on. "My father had Delivery Optimization, he died in the most painful manner known to mankind."

What do IT stuff like? Working machines in a busy network generating profit and/or entertaining people in their homes.

What do you expect for IT to hate the most? Well, for example, a huge mess of overloaded network with terabytes of unneeded data flowing back and forth, blocking all communications, be it productive or entertainment purpose.

What does Delivery Optimization do? Exactly that, overloads network traffic with data not a single process is ever going to use. Nothing. It's not even proper updates, a windows client can download dozens of gigabytes of useless trash data, instead of just, let's say, downloading software updates in the correct manner, using minimal network traffic.

My question is simple: Why?

Continue reading...

Back