Windows 10 What the heck is causing my computer to slow down and lag? I've tried everything.

• Thread starter Thread starter Vyudali
  • Start date Start date
V

Vyudali

I know, I know this is a very common question but so far no solution has worked for me. . .

Some background: I had a friend help me built a desktop back in late November of 2017. I had a lot of issues in regards to lag and general slow processing (slow mouse, slow scrolling lag on videos and audio, programs taking their time to load, etc.) After a lot of hassle it turned out to be the harddrive we bought wasn't suitable for a computer like mine (I use heavy art and video rendering programs) Replaced it with a regular WD Black 2tb Hard drive, reinstalled Windows 10 as well as my many programs and all seemed fine except for one instance of the blue screen of death appearing and having to 'fix' itself upon restart.

This didn't happen again until about a month ago, but not very frequent. It would occasionally happen but then began to happen more frequently until finally I started noticing the same lag symptoms as before. Thinking this was another HD issue I ran a performance check using SeaTools. Unlike the problem child that started all this the HD passed. Ok so next thing it could be is a virus so I ran Malwarebytes and my anti-virus but came up free of any viruses. I figured maybe Windows didn't install an update correctly and reverted it back, but it was unable to do so due to some error.

I disabled all but two programs upon Startup and uninstalled some programs but there really is nothing left that I can think of that could be causing this. . . I even scanned my RAM just to make sure it wasn't that somehow and I'm someone who often does defrags.

I run this desktop no different than the poor HP laptop I had before and that thing managed to run everything fine. Video rendering was obviously slower and sometimes video games lagged but it was never a complete system slow down like this. The specs on this desktop are better so I'm frustrated it's giving me so many issues.

Specs

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1500x Quad-Core Processor (3.5 Ghz)

RAM: 16GB

HardDrive: Western Digital Black 2TB - more than half still available.

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050

Also have a 1TB Passport external drive connected with most of my videos on it so it doesn't take up space on the PC. I've checked the task manager when this happens but most processes seem to be legitimate Windows programs, and they fluctuate frequently. This was one recent order:

Also

Any help is greatly appreciated. At the moment I finished running Windows Resource Protection and THAT did say I had some corrupt files but could not fix them, so I'm taking steps to do something called DISM (something I learned about after a quick Google search.)

If there is a way to fix this without having to reinstall Windows I'd love to try it. My art programs are hell to reinstall since they have very specific settings for brushes and such.

Continue reading...

Back