Windows 10 When are we going to see UI/UX consistency in Windows 10?

• Thread starter Thread starter Yamcha67
  • Start date Start date
Y

Yamcha67

When are we going to see UI/UX consistency in Windows 10? I've been a Windows Insider for a while, but I'm not seeing any major changes in the UI/UX direction. We still see a lack of consistency across native apps, even the ones in preview, and that concerns me because it looks like they are headed in the wrong direction again. You can compare apps like To-Do, Groove, News, Weather & Photos, and you get the impression that each is designed by a completely different person. It's as if you guys have got a different team for each app, and this is why we see a lack of consistency across the board. It appears to be a different designer's take on Fluent every time, and it looks inconsistent.

I've attached screenshots to illustrate this example, but I hope Microsoft is listening to this sort of advice because changes are needed. Consistency would make Windows a much easier platform to use, and it also helps give the user a great experience. It makes it easier for all users to understand where things are, and help recognize native apps. As you can probably notice in the screenshots below, we've got completely different attempts at Fluent design and not much cohesion at all.

1. Menu styles are all over the place (Different icon colours & navigation)
  2. The News app has a red section and hidden navigation menu by default
  3. No fluent transparency across the board
  4. Some search boxes have rounded corners, but others are squared off

There's so much more that I could highlight, but that would be very time-consuming. I'm sure people get the gist of the post, and hopefully, we see these sorts of changes in the upcoming insider fast ring. I've seen the Start Menu leak from Panos Panay, but it was a render, and it doesn't seem to reflect the apps that are in current development. There needs to be a sense of cohesion and consistency across the board. I understand that not all apps can look the same given the content and goals of each app are going to be different, but these native apps should fit together.

Continue reading...