Windows 10 When updating Windows 10 builds, what is it doing at 27, 84 and 87% to make them the longest percentages?

• Thread starter Thread starter kjstechO365
  • Start date Start date
K

kjstechO365

I've done numerous Windows 10 builds and I was just curious what the update process is doing at some of these long percentages such as 27%, 84% and 87%? For example, lets say you have Windows 10 1809 installed and you run the setup.exe in the iso image for Windows 10 1909, specifying to keep all programs and files. The upgrade goes through but when its "Working on updates" it seems to hang at those percentages I mentioned above.

Just curious if anyone knows what milestones are happening behind the scenes that make those percentages take up the most time? Wouldn't it be prudent to take the entire install time and divide by the 100% so each percentage point takes a more equal amount of time? That would give the end user a much better understanding of how much longer in the process it has to go. Its like that decades old problem where a progress bar rushes really fast up to the very end, then hangs forever and then finally completes. Instead of rushing to the end, it should have slowly progressed in time so that it was a more accurate prediction of how much time has elapsed and needs to continue to elapse in order for the current task to be complete.

Even on nvme storage, these certain percentages take up the longest portion of an update. So some kind of computational milestone must be extremely taxing even on the most modern hardware at these specific points.

Thanks for your input!

Continue reading...

Back