Windows 10 Why can't OneDrive back up Quick Notes.one in the Documents folder?

• Thread starter Thread starter Samir Gunic
  • Start date Start date
S

Samir Gunic

I get this error message with screaming red text in the "Manage folders backup" dialog of OneDrive settings.

We can't back up Quick Notes.one in the Documents folder. To continue, follow the steps to move this OneNote notebook to OneDrive, move it to a location outside your important folders, or delete it and try again.

I don't use the "Backup" feature of OneDrive. In fact, I hate it! OneDrive enjoys forcing its wicked ways onto Windows users and enforcing the so called backup feature. The worst thing I know is when it starts making copies of all the files that I keep in my Desktop folder. It's a completely useless "feature" to me, because I never store important files on the Desktop that I can't live without if I ever lost them. I use the Desktop to temporarily store files I work on, and yes, I have another backup solution that's irrelevant to talk about here.

I think it's worth noting that because of OneDrive's wicked ways, I spent the last 2 days restoring my Desktop folder from my backup solution because for some reason OneDrive decided it was time to kick start its own backup feature and start backing up my Desktop folder. So I killed it! Because I don't like programs that misbehave and don't obey my commands and don't let me as user and a sane human decide what's best for me. I started OneDrive again, paused the sync, realized I have to un-pause it to change settings, went into settings and un-linked my PC from the OneDrive cloud account. Then I ran into trouble of having duplicate files here and there, because it had managed to copy some files but not the rest, so I had to handle that mess manually to get things in order again.

Anyway... fast forward 2 days and I have OneDrive linked to my OneDrive cloud account again, and again linked to the same OneDrive home folder at C:\Users\Me\OneDrive and everything is working fine. Except for one peculiar detail... OneDrive says it can't back up a OneNote file in Documents folder.

We can't back up Quick Notes.one in the Documents folder.

Well yes OneDrive, but why? You're not telling me why you can't back up this file in this folder? What is your problem?...

Is anyone here familiar with this error? I did a few searches and found a number of different complaints from users relating to OneDrive and OneNote, going all the way back to year 2013, but I did not find any more recent discussions on this topic.

I checked the Documents folder, and the mentioned file is present. So it's not a matter of missing file, that's for sure.

Continue reading...

Back