Windows 10 Why does Indexing Rebuild on Windows 10 Stop, Declare Completion, and then Much Later Start Again and Do 10,000 Plus More Items?

• Thread starter Thread starter TH_846
  • Start date Start date
T

TH_846

I select Windows 10 Indexing rebuild, and Complete is declared sometime later with about 25,000 items done.

I then reboot and leave the computer on overnight, but the next morning it still says Complete at exactly the same 25,000 indexed items quantity.

Then I reboot again a few minutes later, I soon see about 35,000 items in the rebuild index number, and again Complete. So an additional 10,000 items added were clearly not newly created items being created and then indexed. Rather, indexing was previously declared Complete when it obviously was not.

Why does Windows Indexing almost always falsely declare "Complete" like this? Please explain if possible, even if this rebuilding index behavior cannot be altered. FYI, I do select indexing encrypted files, and I do index file contents for the file types of interest, almost entirely Office programs. I am on Office 2016, not 365, and with One Drive not used. I had the same experience before having encrypted files.

Is this "Complete" for some section of the hard disk? Are there multiple stages of indexing, and a kind of cache system? Mainly, I am indexing Users and not much more, with a single user on this computer.

A reboot by itself will not make the index rebuild restart and continue, but a reboot after a long period (how long?) may do it, not sure.

What if anything can users do to reliably restart the index rebuild just as soon as it falsely delcares Complete prematurely?

Continue reading...

Back