Windows 10 Why does my laptop continuously ask me to connect an ethernet cable even though it has wireless connection?

• Thread starter Thread starter -Yoonity
  • Start date Start date
Y

-Yoonity

I use a HP Pavilion g6 Notebook PC running on Windows 10 Home and for the past few months it’s been having connectivity issues. One moment the wifi is fine, the next there is a computer with a X that appears in place of the wifi icon in the task bar and no networks show up to connect to. When I troubleshoot network and connections, it tells me I need to plug in an ethernet cable even though I don't need one.

I've tried rebooting my wifi box, but that doesn't help as no networks show at all, as well as network reset (which fixes it sometimes, but more so doesn't help at all). One of the most helpful things is troubleshooting hardware and devices. In most cases, by doing this, my problem is resolved.

However, after a short while of working wifi, the computer with the X returns again and none of the above methods work anymore.

Uninstalling the adapter then scanning for hardware changes in device manager tends to work too, but there are also times where the adapter does not show up after the scan, even after restarting my laptop and doing the above methods.

All the methods I've done are only short term… Is there a permanent solution to this?

Continue reading...

Back